Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Roofer with a vision :)
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I went to look at this roof and I think it is PVC, but not sure. Basically, I can do a test weld with either a piece of PVC or TPO, but don't want to drive back there just to determine what it is.

Looking at markings it is a Firestone membrane produced in 96... and installed in 97... now I know that many big roofing companies were already making tpo back than. Base on other data from the picture, can you tell what it is?

I'll appreciate all the help.

Thanks, Leo.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
That scrim sure looks a lot like the JP Stevens Hypalon to me, so did FireStone Private Label any Hypalon back then?

Is the underside blue?

Ed

·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ed, I don't know the color of underside, as the roof is still in one piece and I probably will not be taking it of... just a few patches here and there. I was thinking of welding IB membrane to the spots which needed it, if this stuff is in fact PVC... my testing showed that IB could be welded to other PVCs such as gen-flex (before they were bought out, by Firestone I believe :laughing:), sarnifil, etc. so as a repair job it should work just fine.

I'm just being lazy, because it is mare than an hour drive for me, just to test weld...

I think Firestone make / made its own sheet and I actually am not 100% sure what hypalon is / was... (i'm too young for it :rolleyes:) I know it was a disaster... but not much more than that.

As far as scrim - man, IB scrim looks the same to me ... unless you are seeing things I don't.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Nah, your probably right.

Use an edge sealant that you think will bond with any of those membranes just to make sure your patches last until your tail lights leave the premises though.

Ed

·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ha-ha...

Actually ed, i never do use edge sealant .. IB has non-wiking scrim, so it's not needed... the patches that are on this roof already do have sealant though...

BTW, this is not our first job with these people and certainly not the last, so the quality is of the utmost importance too.

Can you quickly tell me about hypalon? I told them it will last at least 5 more years, but will it? there is a "valley" - low area where water sits and some a$$hole roofer use epdm peel-n-stick tape there... so I want to clean it up and weld IB ...

anyway, I will just talk to some single-ply old-timers or will actually call firestone :w00t:

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Hypalon is a CSPE, ChloroSulfinated PolyEthelene, which has weldable characteristics when frshly removed from the bag container, similar to very easily weldable PVC, but cures to an almost rubber like more resilient quality.

http://www.stevensroofing.com/Product_Info/Hypalon/stevensHypalon.html

It's surface material cures from the sun and high temperatures and needs an activation primer and then a liquid hypalon to be brushed on and dried before welding to it.

Mule Hide from ABC is a Private Label Hypalon out of the multiple membrane sheets that Mule Hide offers.

J.P. Stevens is the biggest manufacturer of it, but I believe they were bought out by DuPont several years ago.

One of the larger National prescence roofing contractors that installs Hypalon is D.C. Taylor out of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

If you can actually weld to it, and try a pull test, where the surface chemicals are still stuck together and only leave the exposed inner core scrim reinforcement, then it is Not a Hypalon.

Ed

·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Outlaw,

Betting is out of the question... I can bet that it is white epdm, but that is not good enough

I need to know... there are knowledgeable people on this board, and some may know the answer.

Ed, do you know if Cerberus comes to this forum, or just roofing-com?

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Cerberus is not a listed member under that user name here and the other guy who would have similar knowledge is BullHart but he is not a regular here, but is a registered member.

It's not a white EPDM though, in my opinion. That was a more expensive product and to buy it as the reinforced version would have made a PVS/TPO decision more meritorious as a financially viable option, in my opinion.

Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts