Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im doing some trim work on a house and I needed to match the existing stain color. The HO had this can from Sherwin Williams from when they had the house built in 1996.

I've never seen it before so I called my Sherwin Williams store and they never have either, so I called my rep and neither has he.

I used it on the new trim today and it seemed to work pretty good, a couple more coats and it will be perfect.

Its very glossy, is it just sanding sealer and maybe someone maybe added stuff to it. Maybe like a homemade formula. It went on smooth as silk.

Dave

Product Cylinder Metal

·
Registered
319 Posts
Im doing some trim work on a house and I needed to match the existing stain color. The HO had this can from Sherwin Williams from when they had the house built in 1996.

I've never seen it before so I called my Sherwin Williams store and they never have either, so I called my rep and neither has he.

I used it on the new trim today and it seemed to work pretty good, a couple more coats and it will be perfect.

Its very glossy, is it just sanding sealer and maybe someone maybe added stuff to it. Maybe like a homemade formula. It went on smooth as silk.

Dave

View attachment 113283
Ive never seen that exact formula but I would be concerned about using such an old product. Maybe the shelf life is great but one heck of a gamble.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
That might be a harder sanding sealer that can be used as a finish. Since sanding sealer is too soft for a finish. But who poured out of the front of the can, pros don't pour out of the front of the can.

·
Registered
319 Posts
That might be a harder sanding sealer that can be used as a finish. Since sanding sealer is too soft for a finish. But who poured out of the front of the can, pros don't pour out of the front of the can.
Those little habits are really funny. It is almost as natural as breathing to pop the lid while spinning the can to make sure we pour out of one side only.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
If that were paint and not a clear finish you wouldn't know what it is. That's why you're supposed to pour out of the back, pros shouldn't need directions. Besides, these days with half the label in Spanish it's too small to read anyway.

·
30 year novice
548 Posts
O my head is hurting....way too many things to think of when you're a pro. How about just being neat and clean the drip before it reaches the bottom of the can.:thumbup: Never seen the stuff but by what's on the can I would say it's a poly that is self sealing.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys. The trim turned out great, the shelf life did cross my mind. It seemed like it was ok and dried great.

That's funny, as soon as I saw the stuff all over the front of the can I said the same thing to myself:laughing:

carzie, I was thinking the same thing. That it is self sealing poly.

Dave

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
What is a self seal poly? According to the label the words E-Z sand tells me it's a sanding sealer. The word finish throws me off since sanding sealers shouldn't be used as a finish cost.

Polyurethane has always been it's own undercoat since you can't use traditional sanding sealers under them

·
30 year novice
548 Posts
Look at the label like this sand/seal/finish as if it's an all in one product and you're right avenge, polys can be used as a first sealing coat. Last time i used it that way the recommended you thin the 1st coat so it would penetrate. I use shellac as a sealer on all now, as you pointed out sanding sealers and polys don't always like one another.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
How on earth is that still good since 1996? my paints go bad after just 3 years sitting around. Took a full can out of storage the other day that had turned solid. Threw away about 10 others that were close to solid and a few others that had rusted out so bad inside the can that it was pointless to use them.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Look at the label like this sand/seal/finish as if it's an all in one product and you're right avenge, polys can be used as a first sealing coat. Last time i used it that way the recommended you thin the 1st coat so it would penetrate. I use shellac as a sealer on all now, as you pointed out sanding sealers and polys don't always like one another.
I love using sanding sealer but I seldom get to use it anymore. Poly is too hard for a good sanding base and I find shellac way too thin.

How on earth is that still good since 1996? my paints go bad after just 3 years sitting around. Took a full can out of storage the other day that had turned solid. Threw away about 10 others that were close to solid and a few others that had rusted out so bad inside the can that it was pointless to use them.
I think oil base can last indefinitely, if air gets to it a skin will form on top. The pigment will settle to the bottom and solidify. With it being a sanding sealer or clear finish it can last even longer. And I'm assuming that can was kept in a very dry area and the can didn't rust.

I may have a can of SW sanding sealer older than that.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
The cans I have paint in all rusted from the inside out. most of them cans were Valspar cans though and had no Teflon coating on them.
I don't think I've ever seen an oil based product rust from the inside out. But ya water base products rust out the can, even if Teflon coated.

I used to always take leftover primers, paint, etc. home, I try and leave them on the jobsite now. This year I have to find a place that will take all the paint I need to get rid of.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Funny how some paints are worst than others when it comes to shelf life. There is no rhyme or reason.

I have to dig through owners garages and attics to try to find paints to match the repairs I've done. I've brought back some paints from the dead.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Back when Painters used all Oil base paints that was one of the best under coaters on the market, You guys have to remember that in 1998 Congress Democrats Outlawed Acetone, cause Liberals didn't like the smell of oil base paints. So Congress did what People cried about told paint manufactures they had to stop making Acetone. That's why everything is going Latex Acrylics all floor finishes are polyurethane instead of Varnish that would last a hundred years, they call it progress:laughing:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts