Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a new bathroom we are putting in a basement, it will have 2 doors to enter it from opposite sides. Electrician says it won't need 2 light switches, only one by just one door because the other door is within 6 steps of each other.

I can't find this in the NEC.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
64,330 Posts
Who doesn't want the 2nd switch. If I was the HO I know for sure I would want a switch at each door.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I say it's hogwash just by the fact that he said "6 steps". When have you ever seen anything in the code book measure in "steps". If he had said 6 feet then I would be more apt to believe him but again I don't know what the actual code says either.

Other than that, I agree with Leo, I would want 2 switches and if the electrician told me it was a change order because it was above and beyond the code requirements, I would tell him if he only wants to build to code he can go to work for the builder down the street but if he wants to do it right he can continue to work for me.

·
Custom Stuff
867 Posts
Can't yet prove it, but I have always understood that there had to be a switch within 4' inside of the entrance to a room. Don't want to walk through a dark room to find a switch somewhere. Does that equate to 6 steps? Dunno.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
IMHO, the electrician is an idiot..if you want a switch by the toilet so you can drop a deuce in darkness ~ no problem...sign here, I'll get right on it...BTW, would you like it "decora" style and/or dimmable?

... I would tell him if he only wants to build to code he can go to work for the builder down the street but if he wants to do it right he can continue to work for me.
:blink:

No mention of money...just code minimum and someone's option of what is "right"?

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Can't yet prove it, but I have always understood that there had to be a switch within 4' inside of the entrance to a room. Don't want to walk through a dark room to find a switch somewhere. Does that equate to 6 steps? Dunno.

NEC does not state where a switch must be located...you could have them ALL in the garage.

Not necessarily a good idea...but if that's where the customer wants them...sign here, I'll get right on it...BTW, would you like it "decora" style and/or dimmable?

·
ampman
783 Posts
On a new bathroom we are putting in a basement, it will have 2 doors to enter it from opposite sides. Electrician says it won't need 2 light switches, only one by just one door because the other door is within 6 steps of each other.

I can't find this in the NEC.
whose steps mine or a midgets ,a while back there was a local code about 3 ways on stairways with less than 6 steps but i dont think it was nec i might be wrong

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
whose steps mine or a midgets ,a while back there was a local code about 3 ways on stairways with less than 6 steps but i dont think it was nec i might be wrong
2008 NEC said:
210.70(A)(2)(c)
Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed
for interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each
floor level, and landing level that includes an entryway, to
control the lighting outlet(s) where the stairway between
floor levels has six risers or more.
:whistling

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
NEC does not state where a switch must be located...you could have them ALL in the garage.

Not necessarily a good idea...but if that's where the customer wants them...sign here, I'll get right on it...BTW, would you like it "decora" style and/or dimmable?
THIS is the correct answer.
The NEC does not even say the switch must be in the same room, let alone require 3-ways.

210.70 Lighting Outlets Required.
(1) Habitable Rooms.
At least one wall switch–controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room and bathroom.

Stairways are a different story, as show by the code section quoted in the previous post #13.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,689 Posts
THIS is the correct answer.
The NEC does not even say the switch must be in the same room, let alone require 3-ways.......
Very few electricians even know of this rule, let alone understand it.

According to 210.70, I only need one switch per floor of a dwelling.

So this would be legal:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, you basterds still have me confused, is a switch by each door required by the NEC or not.

Yes, It's going to have 2 switches because... well we don't need to say why, we all know why.

But what I want to know is, is he right or not?

As for the 6 steps, that's what he said, but I'm pretty sure he meant 6 feet.

Rory, what the hell do you know that you gleefully holding back?

Yes, bathroom in a basement, one doorway from a bedroom, other doorway on oposite wall to a 'room' that leads to the stairs up. The room is 66 inches wide.

This ain't about what's smart to do or what's good design, it's about is there a code that says this or not?

Waz up????

(and don't anybody start bring up $300 for a steam shower lights either):2guns:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.