Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 6 of one half dozen other question i think

putting in a new deck and am ready to put down the deck boards
standard 5/4 x 6 decking (although i hear the 6 inch has a tendency to cup)
but my pondering is, is it better to screw down the decking or nail it
would the screwing help the cupping problem

any input would be helpful

i may be over analizing this but i cant make up my mind

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
When in doubt...SCREW IT!! :cheesygri

Screws are always, always, always better than nails.......well...ok...usually, usually, usually better than nails....... :rolleyes: ..well....ok.....sometimes, sometimes, some....

No but really, it can't hurt to screw it down as opposed to nailing, and yes the screws should help with the cupping. I can't imagine a board stripping the threads off of a screw, but pull a nail..no problem for a cupping board.

Just MHO

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Boards tend to 'cup' in a certain direction. If you place them with the heartwood down, you should eliminate most of the 'cupping' problem. I also use SS screws.

·
Registered
378 Posts
ss steel screws are way to go. we only use the trim head type for screws that are visible. forget about ebtie or hidden fastener systems ,trim screws can be ordered with colored heads to match most decking.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Thats what I've always called `reading the growth rings` Teetor.

Teetor is right here, screw it down and turn all the rings down, it will last longer, look better, not stub a sliding foot and prevent water cupping to ice.

Bob

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for helping me make up my mind gentlemen
i will heed the advice on growth rings and to use ss screw
28'x21' deck guess it will give my screw gun and my right arm a workout
thats a boat load of screws
again thanks for the advice :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Bob, I can't remember there ever being a name for it, it was just always 'The right way.'.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey Bob that gun is nice but it doesn't save the back or knees. I have a Muro gun, My supplier gave me the gun as long as I buy the srews from him and I check his price and they are competitive. Not a bad deal when the gun goes for $380. I use my senco gun for drywall only.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bob,
yeah that gun looks cool does the smokes come with that :D
might want to fix that gfci doesnt look too safe there :eek:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Glass, ours is cordless but its the same gun as for Decking, spend the money on a Dura Spin by Senco they are great.

I use ours for just about everything, I think I paid $150.00 for it from a box store, screws are around 22.00 for a bucket of 1-3/4.

BJD

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Never read what type of wood species this is but generically screws are supperior to nails in all cases when it comes to holding power with deck boards, but don't read into that more than it means, cupping will not be effected in one way or another by the fastener. Think of the forces involved in wood cupping much the same as expansive soils, the forces are incredible. If it is a soft wood, the screws will just get buried deeper in the wood while it cups, if it a hard wood the screws will pull up out of the softer ACQ framing below.

Screwing everything will eliminate the worst problem of cracking that is a problem near the ends of boards, I would screw all wood near its end for superior longevity if you do decide to nail.

Depending on what species of wood you are using ring shanked nails and a nail gun may be plenty with screws being way overkill.

I would work on the cupping issue by addressing what makes wood cup which is un-eaven moisture being introduced to it. Ventelation under the deck boards is the most important factor in controlling cupping. If the deck is high off the ground you will have less chance of cupping then if it is low to the ground. Introducing a means of cross ventelation to a low deck with vents can go a long way in increasing its lifespan.

·
Registered
29 Posts
cupping

Screwing is the way to go! You can't always lay a board with the cup down as one side will always look better with no knots or lumber missing and the ink stamp you live with. Always pre drill your screw holes.It will save your screw gun and help not splitting the wood. But joints for sure get drilled and cut on a 15 degree bevel facing away from the most used or seen area(like siding).

·
Registered
11 Posts
bergenbldr said:
ss steel screws are way to go. we only use the trim head type for screws that are visible. forget about ebtie or hidden fastener systems ,trim screws can be ordered with colored heads to match most decking.
I have to disagree. Hidden Deck Fasteners are great! Ebty however is an ineffective one, because you actually have to screw thru the board, which with any hardwood (IPE for Ex.) with any kind of movement will cut those screws off like they're melted butter. LumberLoc however screws right to the joist, and not only does it make your deck look better, it handles any expansion and contraction on the length or width of the board. Plus they're quite a bit cheaper than EbTy too. If you don't want to use fasteners though, for sure screw it...who wants to stub their toe on a nail a couple of winters later when those nails have worked loose?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have to disagree. Hidden Deck Fasteners are great! Ebty however is an ineffective one, because you actually have to screw thru the board, which with any hardwood (IPE for Ex.) with any kind of movement will cut those screws off like they're melted butter. LumberLoc however screws right to the joist, and not only does it make your deck look better, it handles any expansion and contraction on the length or width of the board. Plus they're quite a bit cheaper than EbTy too. If you don't want to use fasteners though, for sure screw it...who wants to stub their toe on a nail a couple of winters later when those nails have worked loose?
So Huckabay, can you send Me a lumberloc t-shirt and brochure with your companies next mailing :whistling :eek: :w00t:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts