Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Vendor
6,346 Posts
I think I have all of you beat by a couple thousand years. These are First century copper chisels. I am going to haft them on oak handles with leather bindings. I have them squared up and ready to shape the final edge, but it is so soft that it will be a very shallow edge. I have a soft limestone block that will play nice with them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I bought this saw and a felling saw off an old fellow about 80 or 90 who told me his grandfather bought them with him when he emigrated to New Zealand as a pioneer settler. They are keystone saws by Henry Disston, I havent filed or reset them they were still sharp enough for wet eucalypt.

I use the felling saw solo by attaching rope and a bungee tie down to the saw and tying that off to another tree, this was done with a supple sapling in the old days.

Attachments

·
Hack
3,008 Posts
I've got an old Stanley mitre box, and some folding rules that are from the way back machine. Also a few handplanes.
My oldest power tool is a Millers Falls power plane from the early to mid 50's.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I have a Miller Falls boring machine. According to what I read,they have not been made in over 70 yrs. Do not really know how old mine is,bought it at a flea market. Was to cheap to pass up.:clap:

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
A 40 to 50 year old Bull Float, my grandpa was a farmer. He found it on the side of the road in the late 60's to early 70's. I have it now and still use it. It's only a 30" wide but has been fine tuned to perfection.

A finishing buddy of mine says "Properly broke in concrete tools are worth their weight in gold"! He is so right!

You watch the rookies try and use a brand new mag float and it's halarious! Will always leave lines, then when you grab it and say "let me show you something", then rub the crap out of it on the old street to work it in and they want to punch you......til they use it!

Love that old Bull Float, will pass it down to my son someday:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
I have an auger style post hole digger from 1910. I use it for all my posts. Still cuts roots like the days it was born.

·
Administrator
24,071 Posts
How about the oldest tool you actually bought brand new? For daily use, that'd be my Makita sidewinder, bought in '80 and still using it.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
How about the oldest tool you actually bought brand new? For daily use, that'd be my Makita sidewinder, bought in '80 and still using it.
Dewalt corded drill. 1999. I was just looking at that thing today. That was what started me down the road, couldnt sit at a desk when I could use awesome tools.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
My old gold Johnson 4 foot level. Bought it when I first got my contractors licence in 1996. It's still level despite more than a few drops off the roof and a couple of saw cuts through it's edges.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts