Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am new to this and learning everyday. I mainly do small handywork but a customer asked me an extremely odd question today and I want to get more information for him.

He had fascia soffit gutters and downspouts installed. I was there just for some new porch posts and carpet as he did not retain the previous guy.

The fascia board is 8 inches and they only installed 6 inches of aluminum facia and covered up the rest with the gutter. He asked me and I have never ever seen it that way. His concern and mine as well is that water will back up out of the gutters hit the wooden fascia board and rot it or freeze in the winter and mess things up.

Has anyone ever seen the fascia stop 2 inches short of the gutter apron like that?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
So the aluminum stops short of the bottom edge of the fascia or it only covers the bottom? If it has an open seam facing up I would see that as a huge flaw and want something that will lead water outside and down. Sounds like a half assd installation, but stuff like that is done all the time so long as it looks fine to the customer on the ground.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
They make 6" and 8" Fascia, I am assuming that the wrong was installed and yes, it will cause problems.

You can use a metal brake and coil stock to bend a piece to cover the opening, slip under the drip edge and over fascia but I would just pull and install new correct size.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I've seen it done plenty and it's wrong.

Guys probably do it that way cause of material usage and only using 8" where you get 3 runs per piece of coil.

Dielectric, he's referring to the top being open since the gutter hides it. And yeah, water just runs in behind it...

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Not done exactly right..but have seen it done for years without issues. Gutter is made so that the front lip of gutter is slightly lower than back so water flows over top instead of behind when clogged If someone dosnt wrap fascia at all does that mean it will no doubt rot? Doubt it . Rip down gutters everyday without metal and fascia is still perfect especially the top part right under the shingle since its the most protected part. Rotting occurs when shingles are too short or improper pitch or some other issue. Not being fully covered in aluminum isnt one of them IMHO

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
It's another of many crap siding jobs. Unfortunately the right way to fix it would be to pull the gutters and replace. You could bend coil slip one end under the roofing and the other end behind and in front of the existing fascia. But you also have to notch out where the gutters are attached.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry about the profile thing as I thought it was referring to this question I will go fix it. Sorry as I said I am new here. Thank you to those who replied. It was very helpful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the aluminum stops short of the bottom edge of the fascia or it only covers the bottom? If it has an open seam facing up I would see that as a huge flaw and want something that will lead water outside and down. Sounds like a half assd installation, but stuff like that is done all the time so long as it looks fine to the customer on the ground.
The fascia board is 8 inches and they installed 6 inch aluminum fascia. so the top part is wood before the gutter paron. There is a roughly 1.5 inch gap between the gutter apron and the aluminum facia. The gutter was then slid under the apron and over the facia but there is that gap and if it were to back up over the back it seems as if it would hit wood.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picture

Attached is the picture he sent me when this was questioned. unfortunately the whole job was finished done this way.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
That actually looks more reasonable than I was picturing. Around here I see the bottom fascia done like that but nothing of a drip edge or anything. If the gutters filled up with water then yes, it would run behind there. Solution, keep the gutters clean.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I have seen this several times. I have never done it. It is wrong. The times I have seen it done, the builder wants to get the gutters on as soon as possible. As soon as the drip edge is on, he is calling for gutters. They put on the gutters and put one elbow on, backward, so the water gets directed away from the house.
Down the road, when he does siding and soffit, he slides a short piece of fascia up, under the gutter.
Of course this is one of the many things he does wrong. The bad part is that somebody will watch him and then copy him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you don't have a brake, rent one from HD $50 for 24 hrs
Coil is about $70
Thanks at this point the home owner has asked the contractor who did the original work to correct the job. I do not think he is happy about it because he has to remove all the gutters. At first he tried to say can I put coil stock up behind there and not take the gutters down, which he declined and tried to talk him out of taking the gutters down saying the job was done right and he does not understand why he is not happy.

If he does not fix it the home owner and I will fix it next weekend. Even though I am newer to this I have rented a brake and done some of this on a small scale before and so has the home owner. He paid a contractor to do this job because he wanted it done faster and wanted to spend the summer with his family rather than working on the house.

Thank you so much for your reply!!!

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Capping the fascia is easy. Good place to start learning the brake.
Take you time, plan it out.

For fascia, I tuck my capping under the drip edge and I use hidden fasteners for the gutter.

I hem the end under the soffit to add rigidity and then put a slight bend on it so it holds tight to the soffit. Your kind of making the letter "J". Try to hide any nails.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Not done exactly right..but have seen it done for years without issues. Gutter is made so that the front lip of gutter is slightly lower than back so water flows over top instead of behind when clogged If someone dosnt wrap fascia at all does that mean it will no doubt rot? Doubt it . Rip down gutters everyday without metal and fascia is still perfect especially the top part right under the shingle since its the most protected part. Rotting occurs when shingles are too short or improper pitch or some other issue. Not being fully covered in aluminum isnt one of them IMHO
while i agree to some extent and the fascia board itself my be fine,it's a direct path in to the soffit and possibly into the house for water

while your right the back of the gutter is higher,water can still get behind where the back of the gutter doesn't sit flat against the fascia..imo

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Tom, I respectfully disagree.

If your going through the trouble of removing the gutters and installing a new piece of capping, isn't it best to do it right and remove the existing capping and install new correctly?

Also, this area is very susceptible to ice dams. Has any thought been given to hear tape or other ice preventative?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts