Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the wagner 9150 and similar from Cambell Hausfeld, spraytech, etc. This is not for heavy usage but will be used to paint a couple large houses and I want to spray a heavy exterior latex.

The only sprayers I have ever used are the cheapo wagner guns & I will never use those again.

It is hard to find people who know much about these sprayers since these are not really what professional painters or homeowners use, they are kind of in between. I know the professional sprayers cost in the thousands but we are looking to spend not more than about $600.

thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
Register and I'll tell you my take on sprayer models.
Done. Now I've changed my mind to the Magnum (by Graco) and the spraytech brands. These are both at home depot and lowes and they have 3 year warranties I believe. The Magnum is about $75 less but I know that Graco makes some of the best sprayers according to some contractors.

I'm not sure which one to get yet.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey guys...whilst we're on the subject, I am wondering about the learning curve for using a sprayer. Are sprayers pretty intuitive? Or do you need lots of experience to use one?? I am on a job now that I cannot afford to mess up, but I imagine spraying would be the quickest solution.

Any advice?

Richie-C

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Don't learn on someone's house. I have no doubt that you can pick it up quick but its also easy to get the paint uneven or over spray an area and create drips. I recommend you find a safe are that you can afford to make some mistakes on and learn.

·
Registered
169 Posts
area123 said:
Done. Now I've changed my mind to the Magnum (by Graco) and the spraytech brands. These are both at home depot and lowes and they have 3 year warranties I believe. The Magnum is about $75 less but I know that Graco makes some of the best sprayers according to some contractors.

I'm not sure which one to get yet.
Just my 2 cents but the Magnum line is for occasional use. I was looking at the same decision a couple years ago and when I talked to the tech people at Graco they said...welll.. the Magnum isn't really what people expect from Graco, the Magnum is a homeowner model and is good for that type of use. So I popped a couple hundred more for the ST PRO line and am glad I did. When you get familiar with the unit and you later look at the Magnum line you'll be glad you spent a little more $$ for a pro model.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a CapSpray HVLP with 2-1/2 gal pot, and a Accuspray HVLP (Versamax) with a 2-1/2 gal pot. I also have a Spraytech (capspray) airless and a Graco Magnum model XR-9. I use the Magnum for spraying Ceilings and occassionally to apply primer to large (tall) walls for back rolling. I've exceeded the "per gal" recommendations on the XR-9 and have never had a trouble...though I practice good maintance/cleaning etc. I also use the magnum as a Second gun on larger exterior work.

I've used many other Graco's (pro duty) over the years also. For $597.00 at Home Depot the XR9 is a great buy per value vs quality!

I tend to favor my HVLP's and turbine guns, but there ARE times the airless is just priceless....just remember...like paint...you get what you pay for. My $600.00 Airless Magnum XR-9 does or exceeds what my Spraytech airless does for almost $1300.00.

I'll agree the Magnums are meant for the home owner or "Very small" small buisness user...but I over use mine, take care of it, and have had no trouble.

When I bought mine I looked at Max tip size and GPM. Since I shoot a lot of primer and ceiling paint through it; I thought the advantages of the .019 Max tip size through the XD-9 was worth it over less money spent on lower GPM and a .017 max tip on lesser Magnum sprayers. (My Spraytech will handle a .021 tip)

-Martin :)

BTW- May I add? Both of my HVLP units have thier own compressor. I also have a "Capspray"/"Spraytech" CS-9000 turbine with it's own gun. Plus I have an Old...I don't even knw the brand...turbine that I use a Capspray gun on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dale said:
Just my 2 cents but the Magnum line is for occasional use. I was looking at the same decision a couple years ago and when I talked to the tech people at Graco they said...welll.. the Magnum isn't really what people expect from Graco, the Magnum is a homeowner model and is good for that type of use. So I popped a couple hundred more for the ST PRO line and am glad I did. When you get familiar with the unit and you later look at the Magnum line you'll be glad you spent a little more $$ for a pro model.
Just fyi- I bought the Magnum xr7 for about $400 at HD this weekend. I used it Saturday with my SW Duration, painted about 1200sqft. It worked flawless the entire time. It did take about 20 mintues to clean good but I'll probably get faster as I use it more.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Me and a buddy are about to to pick-up one of the SW brand sprayers(pro force 23) to do our house exteriors. Which one should we get? (2 houses every 5 years maybe some other stuff) Should we look at another line?

·
Registered
8 Posts
spraytech 1920 loses prime constantly

Hey Guys,
I'm new to the forum and this Spraytech is about to beat me. I bought it at lowes as a refurbished unit and can't keep it primed up without stopping every minute or so, turning to prime and back to pressure; then good pressure for a minute or maybe five. Thing has less than two hours on it, and I've had it apart cleaned oiled and checked everything I can see.

I've been shooting every combination of air, siphon, gravity, pressure pot, ect since the early Seventies. This is my first airless and it's kind of making me want to go back to air..
Is is ok to cry for help on a related thread like this? Thanks Dirtscooter :sad:

·
Registered
258 Posts
All of them sprayers at Lowes and HD are dumbed down... I would never suggest to purchase any sprayer from either one.

Go to your local paint store and get a REAL Sprayer.

The 440i at Sherwin Williams is a great Sprayer and almost any Graco is a great machine. Just don't buy them at HD or Lowes...

·
Justin K
215 Posts
I bought a graco 190es from home depot about 5 years ago. It worked great my first job, but I've had to had it repaired 3 or 4 times since then. I would never buy a sprayer from a big box store again. The down time could've really screwed me except my dad has a sprayer. For the record I only use my sprayer once or twice a year, which is well under what the sprayer is rated for

·
Registered
8 Posts
Figured out how I was losing prime!!

Hey Guys,
I'm new to the forum and this Spraytech is about to beat me. I bought it at lowes as a refurbished unit and can't keep it primed up without stopping every minute or so, turning to prime and back to pressure; then good pressure for a minute or maybe five. Thanks Dirtscooter :sad:
Just wanted to chime in and say I'm no longer looking for a replacement unit for my 1920 Spraytech////

Finally figured out what was wrong with it.. first I don't reccommend buying a refurb unit from Lowes... it was visibly a new machine that someone brought back after one job... The guy with the refurb contract got it in and obviously swapped out all the pump parts with worn out junk and kept the new parts.

My problem turned out to be the new style imput valve with the ball bumper built in to it. I had checked everything but that.. When I was ready to give up and go buy a Graco, I put a 5 gallon bucket of water under it once more, and with it primed up and running, I took a caulking gun with tip snipped off large and slid it over the bumper/primer shaft and squeezed out a big drop of silicone////////It immediatley stopped shooting bubbles from the return. Shot 20 gallons with it in one day with a 619 tip, and it performed like a champ.. I should have checked it right off, because the brass shaft was actually worn from use, Flat spotted up and down the shaft. Just couldn't have happened in a few hours of use. Also when I was rebuilding the fluid kit, I took the ball out of the piston and it had deep seat marks in the ball.

I think now I would buy another spraytech because a rebuild of the pump takes less than an hour and is less than a hundred bucks, less than 200 if you replace everything that has anything to do with the fluid. Our painter picked up one three years ago for a backup and started using it daily to preserve his Graco. He was and still is using more than ten gallons a day spraying apartments with someone prepping for him.Probably averaging one and a half units a day. He's been expecting it to quit for at least a year but it still produces and holds full pressure.

Ten gallons is a conservative estimate. figure 5 days a week =50 and at least 40 weeks a year about 2000 gallons a year... It's got to close to 5000 gallons. I haven't heard him say whether he's had a fluid kit in it or not but I think he would have said. I think Spraytech says it's good for 500 gallons a year. They don't say how many years.. Doesn't seem possible???

Anyway, I'm happy mine is working now and no more often than I spray lately I feel that I should be good for a few years if I keep it preserved between jobs. :thumbsup:

Anyway

1 - 18 of 18 Posts