Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for one for remodels that shoots 3 1/2" full round head nails. Not sure which is the best though. I have only used Senco brand in the past. I know these are good but just want to know others opinions. I have heard good things about other brands models but would like to know more about them and what people thought of them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
dfoldoe said:
I am looking for one for remodels that shoots 3 1/2" full round head nails. Not sure which is the best though. I have only used Senco brand in the past. I know these are good but just want to know others opinions. I have heard good things about other brands models but would like to know more about them and what people thought of them.
Take a look at the Porter Cable FR350. I personally use it, and it meets your specs. I thought something was wrong with mine, but found it I needed to increase my air pressure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
a discussion that never ends!!!!

I was doing an small research -...and I am still doing it!- about what is the best Framing nailer around: Many Many Many opinions, suggestions, people happy, people frustrated!
All that I have found is this:
All the best Framing nailers have Pros and Cos. There isn't the perfect one.
I have read good comments about Porter Cable.
Hitachi has a Good one $360 Framing Nailer: NR90AC3. I saw it in a local tool dealer and it is a beauty! with deep adjustment and Made in Japan. Actually I shot a NR83A from my Boss and it works pretty good....I have listened excelent coments about hitachi Nailers.
There is a Third one nailer to consider, also with very good comments, Japan made too. it is the MAX SN890RH. I saw one in my local tool dealer and it looks very well made. Hope it helps!

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
From what I have seen in the field, Hitachi seems to be a constant favorite of serious framers.
Even Bostich typically rates behind them with guys I've talked to.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I use a Porter Cable FR350 also. I'm a remodeler too. Remodelers needs are vastly different than a production framers needs. Let's face it a framer is going to run more nails through his framing nailer in a week then I will in a year. I don't need what an Indy car offers just for me to drive to the store, I try to look at tools the same way.

·
Registered
47 Posts
:Thumbs: I suggest the Hitachi. Second best gun I've ever owned. First is the Max gun. Guarateed tough and unless you drop it from three stories onto concrete, it'll outlast the others. Super easy jobsite overhaul for seals too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking at the Porter Cable FR350A Round Head Framing Nailer. I do some remodeling and am looking for a versitale gun. I want to be able to use it for framing and also fiber cement siding. Would this gun work? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

·
General Contractor
8 Posts
Framing guns

I'm a framing contractor and I use Paslode guns (Powermaster F350S). They are the lightest guns around and the power to weight ratio is awesome. Ergonomics are excellent and not nearly as big and bulky as a Senco. Everyone I know- even die-hard Hitachi users- that have tried the Paslode love it.

As for using the same gun for framing and for installing Hardie siding- NOT recommended. Framing guns shoot way too hard for Hardie.

Good luck. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have framed for years and the only guns i have liked is the hitachi coil nailers. they are heavier then the stick nailers but you do not have to keep loading nails. (which can take a lot of time during a days/weeks work.) But hitachi stick nailers are also very good as well. I have tried other nailers but as far as i can tell nothing compares.

·
All ahead flank
64 Posts
As a remodeler, I use the P-C FR350 round head framer and am completely happy with it's performance. Hear much good talk about the Hitachi, but as commented on earlier in this thread, remodeler's needs are a different beast from professional framers, and the FR350 works like a champ and costs about 40% less. Never a problem with it, reliable as can be, running it between 100-120 psi. It is a good sized sob but most of them are. Bottom line, for remodeling...you can't go wrong with it!

·
I like Green things
22,990 Posts
i have framed for years and the only guns i have liked is the hitachi coil nailers. they are heavier then the stick nailers but you do not have to keep loading nails. (which can take a lot of time during a days/weeks work.) But hitachi stick nailers are also very good as well. I have tried other nailers but as far as i can tell nothing compares.

You suck, you fooled me and I looked at and responded to a 5 year old post. I dont like you anymore.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Hitachi 90Ad clipped
Hitachi 90ae or 83A for round head.

I have a max and hate it
I have used the paslode...it's ok but i still think Hitachi's have more power and feel nicer

·
Registered
149 Posts
The answer should be obvious. The best gun is the one you can get ammo for from a local source. Look at what your local stores stock, then choose from the guns that take those loads. Nothing worse than running outta nails and not being able to pick them up quickly. The PC 350 is popular by me and the nails work just fine in my Bostitch 21 degree nailer that also can be used as a PP gun, a real bonus and something to consider, even for an OLD post.... :)

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I'm a framing contractor and I use Paslode guns (Powermaster F350S). They are the lightest guns around and the power to weight ratio is awesome. Ergonomics are excellent and not nearly as big and bulky as a Senco. Everyone I know- even die-hard Hitachi users- that have tried the Paslode love it.

As for using the same gun for framing and for installing Hardie siding- NOT recommended. Framing guns shoot way too hard for Hardie.

Good luck. :Thumbs:
:thumbsup:

·
Contractor
4,656 Posts
I've had a PC FR350 for a while-great side benefit is the nails for the FR350 work in my paslode framing gun-fewer nails to carry around.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts