Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive been a contractor since 97' Over the years I have accumilated quite the tool collection. A few years back I sold my large company along with all the equipment and took some time off. When i sold everything I kept one setup of tools just in case. Well the case was ready in about 3 months, couldnt stay away from the trade. Although now I keep it nice and small and I like it a lot better this way.

My problem arrived this morning when I was organizing my tools. Seems like all my tools need a little upgrading. A lot of them have seen better days. Its funny I use to have 6-10 of every tool. Only have 1-2 now really seems to wear then out faster. So monday morning after I get my guys going I am going on a shopping spree.

Just need a couple sugestions.
Favorite brand of Finish & brad gun?

I am also looking for a nice small easy to tote around trim compressor. Only got 2 right now, a large dewalt and a portacable pancake

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I tried to kill my pc for years. Finally gave up and bought a yellow one to match my saws. The new one has a smaller tank and the identical compressor; and a better paint job. The pc really is a pretty efficient ratio of air supply to space and weight.

Guns? I think they're all pretty comparable. What color do you like. If its green it will cost 200% more. I have dewalt finish nailers. Theyve been solid. I have noticed you get jams if you fill the magazine to the hilt on the 16 gauge. The 18 is designed to take on full stick of nails, duh. Also have pc 18 gauge, their framer and roofing gun with no problems. Also have a 20 dollar harbor freight pinner that comes in handy.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
As I get older (and possibly) wiser, I am, like others going more cordless.
Makita has a great line of cordless tools, including a 23 ga pinner and an 18 ga brad nailer. After loading up the truck there always seems to be one small peice of baseboard behind a door that needs two nails.:censored:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Metro M & L said:
Senco has a little trim comp that runs realy quiet. I see a lot of the old dog finish guys running around with them.
if your talking about the 1 gallon compressor it's only good for cabinet work. You only get 4-5 shots before is kicks and it's almost a min to recover .
Look into a Thomas renegade, it's 26lbs fits on a shelf and can run multiple finish nailers and brad nailers and recovers in 10-12 sec

Reactions: K&K Carpentry

·
Registered
346 Posts
guess I cant really say to compare, as all ive used were sinco's, dewalts, and hitachis....sincos are nice, but I really havent noticed enough of a difference between them and by lesser nailers to be worth the cost. I am currently running 2 dewalt crown staplers, and 2 hitachi finish nailers, one 15 and one 18. and my framer is also a dewalt (tank of a gun though...)

looking for a better compressor though, as its hard to find power in most of these homes to turn my dewalt comp on....

·
90%-er
1,421 Posts
I've got a Hitachi six gallon pancake that I love for trim work because it has two quick connect ports built into the front so we can easily run two guns. It keeps up pretty well with a our framing nailer too, but also runs two finish nailers quite well. Sure helps with production when we have a let of trim to install.

I think I paid $200 for it earlier this summer.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've got that 6 gallon Hitachi and it's halfway worn out in less than a year. It's getting louder and one of the connections leaks a little no matter what I connect to it. It's been okay for the deal I got on it, but I'm going to give it away and get a Rolair JC-10 and a Makita MAC2400 in the next six months or so. That Rolair is super light, quiet, and fantastic for trim and the Makita is probably the quietest thing you can run a framing nailer with, or two finish nailers.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
As I get older (and possibly) wiser, I am, like others going more cordless.
Makita has a great line of cordless tools, including a 23 ga pinner and an 18 ga brad nailer. After loading up the truck there always seems to be one small peice of baseboard behind a door that needs two nails.:censored:
Can you get me a link to the 18 ga cordless brad gun or is it the rebadged pasload?

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
I owned nothing but Senco's for years. When they finally died replaced them with new model Senco's. No where near the quality of the older ones, lasted about 18 months. Had to find a better product, that's why I ended up with Grex. I buy their top of the line models, for me I'd rather spend more up front and get more years out of a tool. Find it is a better value in the long run.

Going to be getting a Grex 1/4" crown stapler soon.

Tom

·
Registered
818 Posts
My brand new Bostitch FN1664K quit working yesterday, 2nd time I have used it, wouldn't fire, acts like the plunger is stuck. Guess I'll take it apart today and see if I can figure out what's going on. It seemed like a nice gun the first time I used it...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
tyb525 said:
My brand new Bostitch FN1664K quit working yesterday, 2nd time I have used it, wouldn't fire, acts like the plunger is stuck. Guess I'll take it apart today and see if I can figure out what's going on. It seemed like a nice gun the first time I used it...
What kind of nails are you running through it?

·
Registered
818 Posts
These were the 2" bostitch nails it came with, I was using them up before opening the next box. 16ga.

120psi max, which is what it calls for in the manual.

It worked when I put it up, when I got it back out and hooked it up, nothing, pull the trigger and you just hear air escaping.

·
Registered
818 Posts
We have 3 paslode impulse guns. 2 framers, 1 16 gauge, they rarely work when we need them to, even after sending them to be serviced multiple times, buying new batteries, fresh gas charges, and paslode nails exclusively. Good idea in theory, now if they only worked as well as our air guns (usually) do.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts