Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

What should occupie the most of a owners time?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so what i would like to know is this? is a painting company owners time better spent on the wall or in the office. if you are on the wall < assuming that you are a experienced tradesmen> then you are not getting jobs, getting your budget worked out, or keeping your mind open to the vast possibilities that you can use to move the company to the next level. you can still operate the job through management and job foremen. but if you are on the wall you can also handle the job now and hope for the job then. so what do you guys think which way should one go to work the company just right.on the wall or in the office. now i do understand that as in any trade a owner must be capable to perform the actions that he has his/her crew doing and that at times will have to face the wall but rather where is the best place for the main timing of the owner.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,574 Posts
This isn't only a painting question; it applies to all of the trades. When starting up, you really don't have much choice. You have to wear both hats. But having done that, I can vouch for the fact that it sucks, and it's very difficult to do a good job at either when trying to do both.

Ideally, you find or train someone who you can depend on to produce quality work while you're out lining up new jobs for him/them. In theory at least, that will allow you to make more money than the guys out there actually doing the labor, and as you age, it will save wear and tear on your body.

Now to talk myself into following that advice... :whistling

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Most of the work that I aquire is based solely on me being on the job. My gift is my trade. If your good at what you do, the work will find you.:thumbsup:

·
A bit abrasive.
1,529 Posts
Most of the work that I aquire is based solely on me being on the job. My gift is my trade. If your good at what you do, the work will find you.:thumbsup:
yup.

I get calls all of the time while working to stop by and take a look at some work that needs to be done. Of course I have to go after 5 p.m. and sometimes maybe even a weekend, but work is work and I intend to be the first painter ever to retire when I am too old to care if my line is cut in straight or not.
I can do both because I rock.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I chase jobs on nights and weekends, put my 40 or so in on the job. All of my work is by referrals from other customers. I don't even have a listed number, so I'm not throwing numbers at jobs I'll never get.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts