Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone --

For your conducting your businesses, I'm curious to know what internet browser (Google chrome, IE, Safari, Firefox, etc.) and version you all use online. I've heard rumors that some estimating software, bidding sites and even gmail only performs optimally for certain browsers.

THANKS GUYS.

-Gabriel

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,502 Posts
I find Chrome to be slow. I've been using Firefox for some time now and have it tuned in pretty well. Been using ver 22.0 for a while now, I think they are up to 30.0

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I use chrome for every computer except my work laptop I use firefox because it seems to handle Java better for Cisco gear. I have a few Planet devices that only like IE though...

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Chrome for me, Firefox would slow to a snails pace or crash often. Chrome seems to handle multiple open tabs better, I have 15 open right now on my laptop and use it on my desktop also.

None of them are perfect.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
FF 30 with NoScript, Add Block+, ghostery and every trace of google software and code removed (Its bundled in the browser itself) Its flawless now

I was having some issues watching streaming vids, so I spent a day updating drivers (rolled back a couple later ) Downloaded 5 browsers , uninstalled java and flash then reinstalled, went thru the reg and finished cleaning it out blah blah blah

Turned out the problem was dust ! :censored::censored::censored:
Blew it all out and the chip temps went down and things worked like they used to.

As for chrome my opinion after having it for a few hours and watching the firewall log after using it is that its basically spyware cleverly disguised as a browser

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
I use two. I'm on Linux Debian 7 so I mostly use Iceweasel, which is Debian's rebranded Firefox. Apparently Mozilla doesn't like some of the security features the Debian team built into it (most of the popular Linux distros are based on Debian). Icedove mail is rebranded Thunderbird as well.

The same is true for Google's Chrome, rebranded as Chromium. I use it when I need a site demanding cookies, like for ordering materials. I find it with Iceweasel and use Chromium for the order page. I don't see any performance difference so it may well have to do with how Windows handles it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts