Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulling into my driveway this morning after taking my kiddo to school and I see this diagonal ummm Im not sure what to call it.. Im going to try and get a better picture, but in the mean time... Is this a foundation issue? I had my foundation done 4 years ago. 10 piers

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
madrina said:
Pulling into my driveway this morning after taking my kiddo to school and I see this diagonal ummm Im not sure what to call it.. Im going to try and get a better picture, but in the mean time... Is this a foundation issue? I had my foundation done 4 years ago. 10 piers
I don't know what that is but you need a chimney flash.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rafters are in line with the white and the red is where the high spot is... I do have 2 high rafters on either side of the crack.. where the vaulted ceiling starts or a sag rather, But its been like that for a while. This diagonal thing is new. And it doesnt really make sense for that area to sag and break off diagonally does it? Ill be back with better pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I don't know what that is but you need a chimney flash.
i know right. dont even get me started on that. i photoshopped it too. lol. I just kind of smudged it over because its embarrassing. :whistling this is what it really looks like.

its kind of hard to see in the pictures but i marked it yellow where the high rafter is and red where the sags are..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys havent seen nothin yet. This is why I started roofing. Because of this crap ass job. You think those gutters are workin? or the roof for that matter. wait til you see what my ridge looks like. Im trying to find the pictures right now..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
here is some more fine work.. love the ridge shingles.. and i really love the random ridge vent they installed to cover up a 10 inch gap in the decking. Apparently these guys didnt have a saw. and is that a finishing nail I see?> What in the hell? Seriously.. Thats what they put my decking on with? And of course you see all the trash lodged in between the decking and the 1x4s... That accounts for some of the waves.. oh and i really appreciate them reconnecting that water heater exhaust. 2 weeks that was just exhausting in my master bedroom

Attachments

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
paid 200$ for them to clean my gutters.. and the dumpster guy picked up the dumpster and it slipped and fell from about 4 feet up and crushed my driveway all the way thru the slab.. and the roofer wouldnt tell me what company he used. :mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
MAULEMALL will be there tomorrow to fix your problem. All he will need is some .027 coil stock, silicone, aviation snips, and some coated trim nails. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
MAULEMALL will be there tomorrow to fix your problem. All he will need is some .027 coil stock, silicone, aviation snips, and some coated trim nails. :thumbsup:
Typical roof job you can expect from anyone from Nebraska....

ignorance is bliss and neeebraska is the happiest cornsuckin place in the whole US of A..:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Im so confused ....

·
Been around
1,151 Posts
If I see what you are referring to, it looks like the diagonal step pattern the installers used.

Looks like the corners are sitting up on quite a few which accentuates the pattern.

As far as the dips in the roof, they may be rafters that weren't crowned, set poorly or just sagged over time.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I love when 1985 and Mauleman fight. Its like an ongoing ball busting contest. lol.. (that i keep instigating for my own entertainment) but I think they like it too so that makes it ok in my head.

ok so as far as my diagonal dilemma.. yes you are right sort of... it is the corners coming up, but its worse in real life than it is in the picture. The whole edge on that side is up, but the corners seemed to be the worst. I know what you're talking about as far as it being the pattern, I've seen that on a lot of roofs, but I think this is different. Why does it do that anyway? Lift in that pattern? Wind?

That part of the house has a vaulted ceiling and no attic space if that makes a difference. I just went in there to see what the ceiling looked like and whoa.. I need to do some serious vacuuming. That room is where the dog lives. Tiled the floor, Doggie door to go outside whenever she wants, all the amenities of a house, just "contained" and not all over my chit.

Point being, I don't spend too much time dusting the crown molding and don't judge me for not having scrapped the popcorn ceiling off yet.

I also tried to get a shot of the roof from the ground and you cant see much because its 2 am and I heard something scratching around in the bushes and got scared and ran inside (turned out to be a plastic sac caught in the crepe myrtle ) but none the less it might have attacked me had I stayed out there and took more pics. Thank God the diagonal line is pretty noticeable in the one pic I got...

so what do you make of the crown being separated like that? and the fan fallen out of place? None of which is in line with the diagonal. Is it related?

Dude, we should totally make a mystery game like "CLUE". except it all be about construction. I'm going to patent it.

There could be a picture of a roof leak on a card... and after investigating the situation, someone could yell out, "IT WAS MAULEMAN!, WITH A TUBE OF CAULK ON A SHINGLE ROOF!!" :clap:

i crack myself up. i need to go to bed.

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
You can tell that who ever did the roof didn't care about quality. They ran out of standard shingles and used the 'SHANGLES' we call them to finish off the ridge. Anyone who wouldn't go get one more bundle of standard shingles to finish the job correctly would take any shortcut. The entire roof would be suspect at that point. With that style of shingle I have found that if you don't install them correctly, you can create a trough that the water will follow and wear out prematurely in that area. We call them shangles because they simulate cedar shingles. I have found you have to install them left to right as they come off the bundle. Lots of roofers like to shingle straight up and I have found that doesn't work well with these shingles. We shingled a house right beside another crew who did theirs straight up and the general contractor didn't like the look of their roof. Being side by side you could see the difference. They look funny and as I said it creates a trough. The shingles are actually double thick where the tab pieces on top are. If too many of the low sections line up, it creates a trough that encourages the water to run there. This generally would not make the water run on an angle though. That would seem to correspond with the pattern the shingles make when you install them. Get a hose and spray it up on the roof. Take note of the way the water runs. Maybe the water is being encouraged to flow that way and is wearing out the shingles in that area quicker. good luck.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
It appears there are several issues here. The structural issues are beyond the scope of a re-roof. Those cannot be blamed on a roofer. It appears you hired a roofing contractor to do a job that exceeded his abilities. The project looks like a tear-off of wood shingles, installing a new deck on top of the skip-sheating, then shingling. The roofer was not conscientious about dealing with vents. He is a shingler.

You point to the company that dropped the dumpster as being a problem then the roofer's refusal to provide the company name. If the dumpster was provided by the roofer you have no claim on the dumpster company, only against the roofer.

The single biggest failure was yours. You failed to properly vet the company you hired. That company was unqualified to do the type and quality of work you expected. This is a very common issue. It comes from not doing your homework and oftentimes from hiring based more on price and salesman charisma than on a track record of quality installation.

The issue specific to your pictures, the lifted shingles, check to see of the shingles were lapped at that location or butted to tightly. Also check to see if sheathing was installed running parallel to the valley then cut to match proper sheathing installation at that location. It is possible that they installed a single sheet of plywood along the valley which could result in what you see about 4' away from the valley.

Reactions: madrina

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thom, I agree with you totally. It was my fault for hiring the wrong contractor, however it is unreasonable to expect a homeowner to have any construction knowledge, especially construction of their roof, if that is not their field. I'm sure you have someone do your web design? taxes? Surely you don't do your own dental work... It is kind of implied in the job title that one knows what they are doing, or at least we hope it is. But live and learn... as I did.

As for the dumpster.. Really? Does that mean I can file a claim on the roofers insurance policy for that? The cheapest bid I got to fix it was $7000. How do I find out who the contractor is insured with? He surely wont tell me.

As for the structural issues, No, they are not the roofers problem, however there is no reason my roof should look like that when my adjuster paid for 5/8" cdx and there is skip sheating. Of course thats not what the roofer put on my roof tho. I think a lot of the waviness comes from the trash lodged in between the 1x4s and the decking and the nails that they didnt pull out or hammer down. I have looked at it from both sides and can see big chunks of broken wood lodged underneath the decking..

It wasnt a matter of going with the cheapest roofer either, I see that all the time and have no pity for those people. Especially those who call me back after they chose someone else to do their roof because they were cheaper. I paid every bit of my insurance money, my deductible and some extra to have the gutters cleaned. Almost 24k BUT I guess you could say instead of complaining about it, I did something about it. Not only for myself, but for everyone else too. Every roof I sell is one less person that has to go through what I went through. I wasnt trying to save the world, but I can definitely do my part.

Im going to look right now and see if there is a board laid along the valley.. that is very possible and makes sense.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
OH!.....Clean you gutters out!!!!:laughing:.......:jester:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts