Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Job Shadowing.

As all of you probably already know becoming a General Contractor isn't the easiest profession to get into. I have been searching high and low for any information about "job shadowing" a General Contractor. I have found many apprenticeship programs, and various schooling/degree's for construction, but this is NOT what im searching for. I have done the a little of a lot as far as the trade side goes, im looking for a way to become more experienced in the legel/paper work side of construction. I live in Oregon and have taken and passed the necessary classes for obtaing my CCB Licence, Ive also taken specific classes aimd toward construction, E.G. Blueprint reading, Math for Construction, and Materials and Methods. (I also have an Associates of Applied Science in Computer Technology) I am very interested in doing this for my profession and very serious about it, if there is anything anyone can do, please help!

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
HMMM.....good question.

I would probably look into some new construction guys.
I am from Oregon originally, and some of the top builders in the Portland area would be Legend homes and West side builders.

good luck

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
What I want to be when I grow up? The brain of a multi million dollar home improvement corporation. Hey that's not saying much. We did 1.5 mil a year on a slow year at my last job.

By the way, I have noticed a recent influx of soon to be graduates that want to start their careers at middle management. How is that possible? Start at the bottom like the rest of us. It is possible I already gave you this speach. If so, when will you ever learn?! If not then take this piece of advice. Stop looking for a corner office and get your hands dirty for just a little while. The opportunities will come a knockin soon after.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
It's just funny tht evryone going to college has been brain washed into thinking as soon as they graduate they are going to have it made. This was true maybe 90 years ago, but not today. College helps alot but job experience is also of paramount importance. That means it's not likley your going to get the best job of your life as yoru first job out of college.

If I had a dollar for every college grad I've met who works at a restaraunt as a server I'd no longer need to work. Last I checked there isn't a "Table waiter" degree.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Billy felt insulted by my post so he decided to send me a private message attempting to hurt my feelings. He insulted my spelling and called me a "little man". Being called little man by someone who calls themself "the kid" is rather amusing. Billy also tried to speculate about my educational background.

It's all very amusing really. Did billy say he was graduating from 8th grade or college? Maybe billy is just realizing that my above post is true and he is taking out his frustration on me. That's ok, Billy. Were all here to help!

Billy, I tell ya what. I'm guessing your about 22-24 years old. I hope that in 3-6 years you send me an email and tell me how much money you are making at age 27. Then we'll see who has the last laugh since I know it will be me laughing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's ok, you don't have to be intimidated

I did not insult your spelling, I just pointed out that you seem to be mocking people who have pursued higher education, and yet your grammar is at a very low level. I noticed and appreciate your attempt on your latest post, but it still has some mistakes. :Thumbs: It's ok to have opinions, but if they're all negative and your trying to make people feel inferior in order to make your self feel better, then at least do it right. I'm done wasting each other's time. I had a serious question, and it was obvious that you didn't have an appropriate answer. So I appreciate your time, good day to you.

Grumpy said:
Billy felt insulted by my post so he decided to send me a private message attempting to hurt my feelings. He insulted my spelling and called me a "little man". Being called little man by someone who calls themself "the kid" is rather amusing. Billy also tried to speculate about my educational background.

It's all very amusing really. Did billy say he was graduating from 8th grade or college? Maybe billy is just realizing that my above post is true and he is taking out his frustration on me. That's ok, Billy. Were all here to help!

Billy, I tell ya what. I'm guessing your about 22-24 years old. I hope that in 3-6 years you send me an email and tell me how much money you are making at age 27. Then we'll see who has the last laugh since I know it will be me laughing.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I'm not mocking people. Re-read. I said "College helps alot but job experience is also of paramount importance." How is that mocking anyone? Also waht I stated is true. College grads have the misconception that they have a ticket to easy street. This is simnply not the truth. This opinion is based on the influx of recent, or soon to be, college grads hitting this and a few other consturciton web sites with the exact same attitude "Why can't I find a 6 figure job?"

As for my education. Your right I haven't obtained any degrees as of yet, and I have no desire for any degrees. I take at least two classes per year. I take classes that interest me from anything related to construction, computers, business, marketing, damned even cooking. Life is what you make of it, degree or not.

Also feel free to point out my spelling error. I simply don't have the time to correct my spelling mistakes in a forum. I'm too busy making money. Trust me my grammer is at a very high level on any official business letter that leaves my office. Spelling and grammer checks are a must.

Like I said, send me an e-mail when your 27 and we'll talk.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
I have a college degree and even some masters courses and my spelling sucks! Who cares?

As for you BillyTheKid... knock off the attitude. I saw the PM you sent and if these types of PMs or Posts continue you will be banned from this site.

We try to have adult conversations here... there are PLENTY of other forums out there were you can attack people. Contractor Talk is not one of them.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts