Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will post this question as well in the tile section. I am building a garage addition that will connect to tiled decks on th esecond floor, The owner wants the tile deck to continue ove rthe garage addition, Its only gonna be about a 1-2 pitch rafter lenght is 12 feet i was thinking about a 1-2 inch drop since it will be a deck owner wants it flat as possible. My sales rep recommended this stuff called protecto wrap, never heard of it,, he says i can apply it over the plywood and thinset right over it?:sad: huh? he says its simular to water and ice...? anyone use this, or what you u recomend? i just never had to tile over a roof before, The tile is gonna be slate...
thanks for any info....

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking about just using water and ice, then use firing strips, then another layer of plywood then durock then thinset the tile to that,?

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
hmm i dont know maybe your better off using epdm instead of i&w

im sure someone here will yell at you pretty soon tho
hang in there and good luck:thumbsup:

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,821 Posts
protecto wrap is a 6-10" roll of pretty much grace I&W, for flashing around doors and windows. I'd probably use grace myself, and apply the backerboard directly to that. I have never done this on a roof though, I have lined a tiled shower pan in this fashion however.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
help?? what waterproof membrane to use under a tile roof?

I posted this in the roofing section as well but thought it would get more exposure here.. I am building a garage addition that will connect to tiled decks on the second floor, The owner wants the tile deck to continue over the garage addition, Its only gonna be about a 1-2 pitch rafter lenght is 12 feet i was thinking about a 1-2 inch drop since it will be a deck owner wants it flat as possible. My sales rep recommended this stuff called protecto wrap, never heard of it,, he says i can apply it over the plywood and thinset right over it?:sad:thinset right ontop of the membrane, huh? he says its simular to water and ice...? anyone use this, or what you u recomend? i just never had to tile over a roof before, The tile is gonna be 4x6 slate... why not just water and ice it durock over that and tile??
thanks for any info....

·
Super Moderator
10,604 Posts
We use protecto wrap around our windows and doors. Ours comes in 8 inch rolls. I like it for our application, as it sticks well and is thin enough to conform well. Very tough too. I have never seen it in larger rolls and I am not sure if there are any other suggested uses for it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
A tile roof on a 1/12 pitch? I hope you are going to be adhering the tile to the underlayment with foam and not penetrating fasteners.

Old school would be to install a three ply built up roof first, as the tile will be strictly decorative.

These days there are several options. To name a few:
1. Hot mopped membrane per the above.
2. Three ply torch down modified bitumen.
3. 3 ply self adhering modified bitumen system.

Whatever you use, remember that the underlayment IS going to be the roof.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me try to explain a little better, sorry if i wasnt clear. The house has a wrap around deck that is tiled, the only side that doesnt have the deck is the side they want a garage with a flat roof, and to use that roof to connect the decks togheter with the tiled floor. so im trying to figure what will be the best way to make the roof weather proof but be able to install the tiled floor over it? maybe a dummy roof that is the waterproofed one then frame a dummy roof that i can tile on? just trying to figure what will make the most sense.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Exterior tile

STEP 1

CBM48

CRACK BUSTER Crack Prevention Mat Underlayment - 1.8mm x 4' x 100' roll​

STEP 2

DITRA150
DITRA-MATTING ANTI-FRACTURE MEMBRANE - 3'3" X 45'9" Roll

Check if products suitable for exterior application. Also make sure to check tile rating. Not all tiles can be used outdoors. You probably knew that though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check out Hydro-Stop. They have a product that you can install tile over. They deal with an elastomeric SYSTEM, that is much better than an elas. coating.

·
4,617 Posts
I merged the two threads. Please do not double post.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Seal-o-flex CT.

This is not a job to learn on. It must be installed correctly or it will leak, then you get to redo the deck and the tile...

This is not really a roof, you are dealing with a walking deck and that changes things significantly...

·
Registered
2 Posts
A tile roof on a 1/12 pitch? I hope you are going to be adhering the tile to the underlayment with foam and not penetrating fasteners.

Old school would be to install a three ply built up roof first, as the tile will be strictly decorative.

These days there are several options. To name a few:
1. Hot mopped membrane per the above.
2. Three ply torch down modified bitumen.
3. 3 ply self adhering modified bitumen system.

Whatever you use, remember that the underlayment IS going to be the roof.

Build a floating floor. use one of the above methods with some deck footings (pre-cast pylons or treated 6x6) roofed in, then frame the second floor above the lower roofing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts