Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Home Improvement/Contractor ect. magazines do you guys recommend ? Looking to subscribe to a few good ones. Thanks for the help: thumbup:

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,982 Posts
There ain't many out there.

JLC and FHB are the best.

Remodeling, Replacement Contractor, Builder, and Big Builder are mostly business, and they are free. You get what you pay for. Pretty boring, in my opinion.

Professional Deck Builder and EC&M are, in my opinion, the best free magazines.

EC&M is only interesting if you are obsessed with advanced electrical work.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,982 Posts
Forgot about tools of the trade.

Come to think of it, I wonder what happened to my subscription? I'll have to look into it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think they are a waste for the most part. The very thin and usually Captain Obvious editorial seems to be a badly needed excuse to get advertising in front of you for trade shows and industry products.

Once you have seen the same 15 advertisers once and get bored by the pathetic articles, into the bottom of the bird cage they go. In winter I use them to start fires in the fireplace.

Google is my favorite starting source for most everything.

Magazines have to choose what subject to cover and you are stuck with it.

I like my current interest or immediate challenge to choose what I want to know then I research online and contact a subject matter expert such as those on this forum and others.

For example, I recently wanted to know what solutions were out there for

1. inexpensive metal roof ice damn solution
2. horse stalls
3. more competitive supplier for sliding door hardware
4. various subject about truss manufacturing

In EVERY case I had answers or sources for answers within a few minutes. In some cases I speak to a manufacturers sales rep because they have an expertise in the subject and I can sift thru the sales B.S. part of their fluffy yap and get them back on point of a specific solution to a specific project, tell them about my goals and see if they have any solutions I am not aware of.

I think don't waste your time with thin editorial ad heavy free trade mags is the best answer.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Forgot about tools of the trade.

Come to think of it, I wonder what happened to my subscription? I'll have to look into it.
It only comes out a few times a year. Or at least I only get a few a year.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
I think they are a waste for the most part. The very thin and usually Captain Obvious editorial seems to be a badly needed excuse to get advertising in front of you for trade shows and industry products.

Once you have seen the same 15 advertisers once and get bored by the pathetic articles, into the bottom of the bird cage they go. In winter I use them to start fires in the fireplace.

Google is my favorite starting source for most everything.

Magazines have to choose what subject to cover and you are stuck with it.

I like my current interest or immediate challenge to choose what I want to know then I research online and contact a subject matter expert such as those on this forum and others.

For example, I recently wanted to know what solutions were out there for

1. inexpensive metal roof ice damn solution
2. horse stalls
3. more competitive supplier for sliding door hardware
4. various subject about truss manufacturing

In EVERY case I had answers or sources for answers within a few minutes. In some cases I speak to a manufacturers sales rep because they have an expertise in the subject and I can sift thru the sales B.S. part of their fluffy yap and get them back on point of a specific solution to a specific project, tell them about my goals and see if they have any solutions I am not aware of.

I think don't waste your time with thin editorial ad heavy free trade mags is the best answer.
I don't think that anyone is viewing them as a source to answer their current question, but a great source to see what others are doing and how to resolve future issues.

March JLC had a great article on dashboards for your tablet. Something I would never think of using.

A few months back they covered shear walls. Great read. Some of the new products are interesting and hearing industry professionals who do it everyday is worth the price and time to read.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
It only comes out a few times a year. Or at least I only get a few a year.

Yes,I think it is only a quarterly publication. Isn't it a complimentary subscription to the subscribers of JLC ?

I always fill out the renewal form when it shows up and have not had trouble getting future copies.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't think that anyone is viewing them as a source to answer their current question, but a great source to see what others are doing and how to resolve future issues.

March JLC had a great article on dashboards for your tablet. Something I would never think of using.

A few months back they covered shear walls. Great read. Some of the new products are interesting and hearing industry professionals who do it everyday is worth the price and time to read.
Good point.

I have been mostly disappointed with most of them but have not read those you suggest in awhile finding online sources at my finger tips more interesting. I have a bar stool in the john that I set my laptop on. :laughing:

Do you ever just go to your favorite magazines website and do a search or read current articles there? I think I will check out the websites of the magazines suggested to see if it's any better than my past experience with them.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Being long time subscribers to both FHB & JLC,FHB since issue #8 my advice would be to bite the bullet and purchase FHB archive CD. Reason being,both publications went down hill big time since their inception. Past articles were much more thorough and in depth and diverse. Today the major thrust seems to be Green Building and insulation:not saying that is bad. Just saying there are many other topics that merit an intense focus.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,519 Posts
Do you ever just go to your favorite magazines website and do a search or read current articles there? I think I will check out the websites of the magazines suggested to see if it's any better than my past experience with them.
JLC has an archive of articles you can download as PDFs. You either join or buy the whole archive out right. I used to subscribe to the hard copy back in the 80s - a consistently good source.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
JLC has an archive of articles you can download as PDFs. You either join or buy the whole archive out right. I used to subscribe to the hard copy back in the 80s - a consistently good source.
I'm subscribed to the online archive. Love it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts