Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
40,545 Posts
My fricking lunch. When I was working on the tracks I looked down the street at the house I started on and there he was eating my sandwich. Big ole black lab, I caught him red pawed. His master did buy me lunch so it wasn't too bad. That was back in the day I was young and thought the biscuit bitch (lunch truck) sold good food.

·
Registered
17,192 Posts
My fricking lunch. When I was working on the tracks I looked down the street at the house I started on and there he was eating my sandwich. Big ole black lab, I caught him red pawed. His master did buy me lunch so it wasn't too bad. That was back in the day I was young and thought the biscuit bitch (lunch truck) sold good food.
When the DWBs were working out on the west side we'd buy our break off the roach coach in the morning. It was like this " Hey Red where did you but our break:blink: under the stairs, look at that dog he got our break" As the little mut that was homeless and hanging around the track for years trotted off with our break bag in his mouth:laughing:.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
He started screaming over at the framers. Something along the lines of, "Listen up you [email protected]$#%s, my new hammer just went missing. Now we're going to go to lunch and if it's not here when we get back, we're going home. By this time tomorrow you #[email protected]$%$%s will be out of work." I asked him why he was bothering, because most of those guys didn't even speak English. He said, "They understand enough."
Yeah, it's funny how they understand English when they want to.

I was working with a company that used temporary immigrant labor and sometimes they would borrow something from me like a ladder or a drill. Then they would disappear for 20 to 30 minutes and come back empty handed with amnesia or they would start mumbling in Spanish as if they didn't understand what I was talking about.

Long story short, they figured out how to get their "borrowed" stuff back to me without incident.

·
GC/carpenter
40,545 Posts
tedanderson said:
Yeah, it's funny how they understand English when they want to.

I was working with a company that used temporary immigrant labor and sometimes they would borrow something from me like a ladder or a drill. Then they would disappear for 20 to 30 minutes and come back empty handed with amnesia or they would start mumbling in Spanish as if they didn't understand what I was talking about.

Long story short, they figured out how to get their "borrowed" stuff back to me without incident.
Yea, I once came back from the lumberyard and walked up on a worker by surprise, that was not suppose to speak English. That SOB was singing a song by Uncle Cracker. This is what I heard him sing:

Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away
Give me the beat, boys, and free my soul

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I've had my cable rods nicked from inside one of our panels, that was over a days wages gone just like that. Now every tool I have gets packed up and taken home everyday and when I take smoko and lunch my veto gets padlocked closed and I take my rig with me. Its a lowlife scumbag that steals a mans ability to earn money away from him.

·
Contractor
6,896 Posts
It would be a different story if the crew was armed. Any time I go to a crappy area, or out in the middle of nowhere I'm packing. If I had a gun that is.
These guys were working in SE Washington, DC. :blink:

They would probably get more jail time for having a firearm than if they beat the crap out of the thief with brick.

Maryland is not much better, If you have a gun in your vehicle it better be,
1. unloaded
2. locked
3. on the way to or from: the gun shop, shooting range, or hunting trip. :censored:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
griz said:
Windows, doors, cabinets, carpet.....

All after they were installed....:jester:/QUOTE]

Didn't take the drywall and subfloor?

Californiadecks said:
Haha, that's pretty funny!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Californiadecks said:
Yea, I once came back from the lumberyard and walked up on a worker by surprise, that was not suppose to speak English. That SOB was singing a song by Uncle Cracker. This is what I heard him sing:

Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
Give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I guess even some birds can speak English too.

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
I had a real nice k2 mountain bike taken out of the back of my truck at the jobsite, way up in the woods, where no one but people on the job would have seen it. The same day, my boss had a bigfoot 10 1/4" wormdrive stolen, and it just so happens that a guy came up to collect his last check before heading off for California, so I'm pretty sure I know who took both items. I filed a police report, but that would only help if he tried to pawn it in Montana.

On another job in Cody WY, we had a bad blizzard blow in, and did a very quick (and not very thorough) roll up and got out of there. The next day, we found several goldschlager sample bottles all over the jobsite, and one of my 100' air hoses was missing. There were a couple tools left out in our haste to get out of there, including a framing nailer, but the airhose was the only thing we could determine was missing.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts