Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just remembering a time few years back when we were remodeling a suite for an expanding law firm.

The Law firm wanted to take the suite next door so we renovated the entire new suite to closely match their exist layout, so that all we had to do is remove the demising wall that seperated the new and existing suites turning it to one large space.

Well nearing the end of the renovation I told one of my guys to remove just one side of the demising wall just 1 layer of drywall and insulation so we can pack it on the full roll off. (about 30 lineal foot x 9 ft height)

He knew not to bent the metal studs so as to not disturb the wall of the law firm just yet. so he used his sawz all to cut out squares of drywall, which is the way we do demo.

However it was 6 am and we didn't have access to the law firm for that morning, poor planning the night before on my part ... anyway, he plunged a long sawzall blade right into the top of a very expensive leather couch and nicked a credenza in their office ... and thank God he missed thier fish tank!

I had to buy them new furniture for their office once the move was made. (8k) my guy took the damaged couch set home (3 piece) and paid me 2k cash for them, I donated the credenza to the salvation army.

I chalked it up as 8k loss.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Years ago, I had a small job to do for a crazy lady who was a friend of an existing client. Lots of talking and weird stuff, like trying to clean the glass on the door that I was installing as I was literally installing it, (I mean balancing it on the wonder bar/lining up hinges).

The next day I brought along a friend of mine who has the patience of a saint and can engage anyone in conversation about anything from herbal remedies to politics. I paid him $20 an hour to do nothing but sit there and talk with her. She played the guitar and sang and sat with him all afternoon, never questioning why he never lifted a finger. It was the best money I ever spent.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not my expense, I just read something on a women who beat the IRS & it mentioned some lawyer who tried to deduct 100G's he spent on hookers as a business expense:whistling

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not that interesting but I paid a bee keeper guy to remove a big bee hive that was built right on top of an electrical panel I needed to work on...

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did he just shove the bee hive into a trash bag, turn to you and say that'll bee TreeFiddy!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
This is not my expense but one I saw.

Years back when I was a Corporate IT Geek - we were working with a company GE was trying to take over. The local HR dept. had been moved from NJ to Arizona.

At about the same time a very obese secretary had gastric bypass surgery after doing some major damage to a ladies room toilet (I guress that is expense #1 - new potty).

She gets back from medical leave and has such gastric issues that it would literally clear out the whole cube farm back into my corner cube. She tried to cover it up with peach air freshener, one night we geeks stuck those scented stick ups all under her chair and desk. Nothing worked. The air ducts would blow the gas all over except in my corner so the guys would come piling back by me.

Finally the complaining began.

So her boss passes the buck to HR who is in Arizona. HR didn't want to talk to her about it via phone, letter etc. So, here comes the expense, they flew an HR person from Arizona to NJ to tell this chick to stop farting in the office.

Weirdest and funniest stuff I've ever seen. :blink:

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know they have special carbon underwear for bitter flatulence issues. Very Comfortable ... or so I've heard.

By the way Amelia, you have a fly in your coffee...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts