Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,843 Posts
I live in the county with enough ground that I don't get bothered. Most of my land is behind the house with private drives so everything stay pretty much out of sight. If I lived in own would have to have a yard somewhere or they would run me off , to much stuff and equipment.:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It's unusual for people to complain.

I moved about two months ago to the town. I was out in my yard and a neighbor pulls up on an ATVS. Starts talking about my equipment so I was thinking great, he's going to complain. Nope, asked if he could borrow my dump trailer one day.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
The town I live in has it right in their by laws. If you live on the property, you can run a business out of it. Of course, we have had an issue or two about that. When you think of it, it is quite possible that someone with a chicken manure processing plant can open up, as long as they live on the property.

·
Registered
12,549 Posts
I've been pretty lucky. I am surrounded by warehouses and shops, mostly empty. I also am lucky enough to be in a C-2 zone. Good thing as my yard at most times looks like a lumber truck and tool trailer puked all over it. It also usually looks like the landscaper is allergic to cutting the grass, but that is another story.

We're getting ready to move to a new place and I am sure that all my stuff will look a lot better with more ground to spread it out on. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
As other said, I'm sure it was county. There is probably an ordinance that you have to have a variance to operate a business out of a house.
We can't have any personal vehicles that have lettering on the side, unless the vehicle is owned by the business and the employee drives the vehicle home.
One argument he could use is that no customers come to his house. All of his business is done at the customer's residence. Probably won't work. Common sense and government don't mix.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Around here, there are a ton of independent dump truck drivers who park at their house. Not to mention all the small time contractors. What a pain in the azs if they had to rent a lot just to park their vehicles, not to mention the security issues.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,001 Posts
Check with the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) and see what the regulations state and go from there. It might be the County or a local jurisdiction like a city or town. They might have different rules depending on the type of business...............

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Proves you don't own property...you just buy the right to lease it from the government.
That is very true and more people should be aware of it.

If anyone wants to mess with your property rights, and you fight it, you will have to go down a looong expensive civil court road.

That sub should pull a copy of his deed and the deed for the easement to see what they say. After that I imagine it would be the township ordinances, then county, and then state law to look into. Probably the only thing that may apply is the deeds and/or twp. ordinances though.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
That is very true and more people should be aware of it.

If anyone wants to mess with your property rights, and you fight it, you will have to go down a looong expensive civil court road.
LoL if anyone doesn't believe it stop paying your property taxes.

Reactions: AmeliaP

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
In my town, a few beauticians have a shop in their home....no big deal....but then, if you lived on a residential street and a guy decided to have a mechanic shop or welding shop in his garage, it could be an issue. Common sense rules......think of your own property value when you might want to sell if there are broken down vehicles on jacks in the driveway next door.....it ain't the same as a pickup in the driveway with a ladder rack. Or a sign hanging from the mailbox saying "beauty shop". I promise it won't help with an appraisal.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
In my town, a few beauticians have a shop in their home....no big deal....but then, if you lived on a residential street and a guy decided to have a mechanic shop or welding shop in his garage, it could be an issue. Common sense rules......think of your own property value when you might want to sell if there are broken down vehicles on jacks in the driveway next door.....it ain't the same as a pickup in the driveway with a ladder rack. Or a sign hanging from the mailbox saying "beauty shop". I promise it won't help with an appraisal.
I agree I don't want to live next to joe the auto repair man who has 5 smashed up cars in his driveway, but I have no problem living next to someone who runs a home based business that is not obvious from the outside.

I think most times people have nothing better to do and want someone to listen so they file complaints.

·
Kowboy
2,346 Posts
When you drive a vehicle, you have an obligation to know the traffic laws. Telling a cop you didn't know the speed limit is no excuse. This is what we've all agreed upon to keep us safe.

When you run a business, you have an obligation to know the laws relating to same. When you disregard the laws because you want to place a cost of running your business, renting office space, on your neighbors, you have no business complaining when they turn you in. Just like the speed limit, you had an obligation to find out whether or not running a business from your home is legal. If it isn't, don't do it. If you do and get caught, don't whine. Move. Or lobby your legislators/HOA to change the law.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I ran my business from my home for 20+ years. Then the house next door sold to a person from Portland. Then he took a dislike to me. He complained to the local planning person. I had to move my business and could not have employees come to my office. He harassed the delivery drivers and told the planning department that I had doubles blocking the street. All during this, he was an unlicensed contractor working for cash. The planning commission claimed that as he was not licensed, he was not a contractor and therefore, exempt from city regs.
Same B-S from the local B-O, not licensed, not a contractor. He finally moved away. My shop is now located just outside the city limits.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts