Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You operate your business out of your residential home and a neighbor complains to the authorities about it?

It happened to one of my subs and some person came from the state today to check into it.

Curious what they can do about it?

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
No exactly sure but the reality lady we use said she had to get written permission from each of her neighbors to operate her business there. She now has an office.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
There are zoning laws in place for this reason. Your sub may very well be in violation. You can apply for a variance. I was a zoning commisioner in my small town at one time and saw this situation a few times.
Most people who buy a home in a residential area do not want to live next door to a business.

·
GC/carpenter
43,594 Posts
I have to get a special permit to work out of my home, had to sign papers to not have equipment visible or employees coming in or out. However, I decided to tell them I'm no longer working in Anaheim. Did this with a letter. They sent me a letter back that said we looked up your license info it has an Anaheim po box. I sent a letter back with my fee and said "you got me". I know the license lady down there I'm sure she got a laugh out of it. The next year I opened a po box in Yorba Linda and won.

·
Registered
163 Posts
A little more information would be good.Such as what kind of equipment you are using.Is it in a shed,garage,shop.Who is coming and going,customers,workers or big supply trucks?What are you manufacturing and can it be made to look like a hobby?How is the property zoned?Do you display a sign and if so i would remove it prior to inspection.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This guy lives on a three acre lot in the country. Problem is that his house is set far back and their is an easement for his house and the two other homes off the easement.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shakey0818 said:
A little more information would be good.Such as what kind of equipment you are using.Is it in a shed,garage,shop.Who is coming and going,customers,workers or big supply trucks?What are you manufacturing and can it be made to look like a hobby?How is the property zoned?Do you display a sign and if so i would remove it prior to inspection.
He operates as a sub. Has two unlettered pick up trucks and two unlettered trailers. Good size pole barn with a dumpster off to the side that's barely visible.

·
Registered
132 Posts
BamBamm5144 said:
You operate your business out of your residential home and a neighbor complains to the authorities about it? It happened to one of my subs and some person came from the state today to check into it. Curious what they can do about it?
You sure it was someone from the state? Should be a county zoning issue. These things are complaint driven. He can apply for a variance to run a business there but it's unlikely that will work.

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
Officially, my business is operated out of my house too.

What is the neighbors beef with him?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
It's no problem in the people's republic of Canada.

Where does this guy live Auschwitz?

Reactions: Tower

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could've been county. Probably was although he told me state.

No idea what the neighbors issue is. Perhaps the neighbor just doesn't like the guys driving down the easement past his house twice a day to load up then go home.

A big pain in the rear though.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Could've been county. Probably was although he told me state.

No idea what the neighbors issue is. Perhaps the neighbor just doesn't like the guys driving down the easement past his house twice a day to load up then go home.

A big pain in the rear though.
Proves you don't own property...you just buy the right to lease it from the government. I'd find out who called in and hunt them down.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Here you can run any non retail store from home.
I had a disgruntle neighbor try and mess with me at my old house.

Cole

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Deliveries are a problem over 6 wheels (arguably commercial). Otherwise UPS ect couldn't deliver.

Unmarked vehicles are also not a problem, however a container is considered a commercial application if its not there with a building permit on construction. Replace the container with a dump trailer (registered).

Respect set backs for driveways/ daily drive bys but not having a couple trips by non residents means squat.

If a business needs a physical address and a PO Box does not work (Ie Google Maps) there is always a Suite at the UPS store.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
You sure it was someone from the state? Should be a county zoning issue. These things are complaint driven. He can apply for a variance to run a business there but it's unlikely that will work.
Even more likely a municipal zoning violation, unless in unincorporated area...then County has jurisdiction.

If they actually were the jack booted brown shirts from the Wisconsin state department of revenue... :no: Make sure you are properly claiming business and personal expenses on that property, talk with the accountant.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,275 Posts
Molotov Cocktails on the vehicles, shoot the dogs, poison the cats, toxic chemical spill on the lawn, and "accidental" brush fire in the backyard.

Or they could apply for a varience. Or if it's a certain type of "small business", it might be exempt. All depends on locale.

But I liked my first idea better.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I think it is more of a revenue generation type of thing usually.

Some control is necessary. You don't want a guy operating a slaughterhouse out of his house with truckloads of animals coming in and chilled meat going out.

But today I see more of something such as a plumber, electrician, realtor operating their business out of their home. What does that mean anyway? For me, it means I have my paperwork here at home, I store a lot of stuff in the basement and garage (and some leaning up against the garage) and I park my truck here sometimes. One winter I had my trailer parked in my backyard.

My town has ordinances against parking the trailer on a non-concrete surface, for example, and probably some nuisance ordinances against me storing some scaffolding against the side of my garage.

But it is also illegal to park any other vehicle off the concrete driveway, such as a camper. As soon as the enforcement takes place, it snowballs and before you know it, the town has a lot of stuff going on and everyone is pissed off.

So generally, unless it is a flagrant violation, like the slaughterhouse example, not much gets done.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You operate your business out of your residential home and a neighbor complains to the authorities about it?

It happened to one of my subs and some person came from the state today to check into it.

actually had a similar situation with a guy who we used to sub some stuff out to.

I have never been to his place- but my understanding of the situation was- that he had a house out front-with a pole barn way out back.- this was in an area that was pretty rural back in the 1980's.

Over time a lot of yuppy cardboard boxes sprang up around him. no longer quite so rural.

every morning-like 5 guys would show up early in the morning-drive down the long driveway. Park their cars- stand around waiting for everybody to show up

then -once everybody was there- 2 company pick up trucks, a company dump truck and sometimes a dump trailer would all drive back down the driveway.
I think he had a 42 ft boom lift stored there as well.

In the afternoon everybody would come back-up and down the driveway.

then the crew would drink a 12 of Busch before everybody headed home

In the winter they plowed snow- so they were all coming and going at all hours of the night---------------

so eventually, somebody complained to somebody else-and now he rents space about 25 minutes away from home.

Really- I don't think I would want that going on next to my house either- But HE WAS THERE FIRST

that was all going on before the yuppies moved in.

I am fine where I live----- lettered truck in the driveway and that's it.- dump trailer,scaffolding, stock,deliveries are at another location-and the other company truck(s) go home with employees to their houses

but a lot of allotments here won't let you l keep a lettered truck in the driveway.

Stephen

1 - 20 of 36 Posts