Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i just moved into a new house and it has a garage with no electric in it. I need to run 220 to my garage. My house main panel is all full. Do I need a another panel in my house or can i i just put a new main in my garage by jumping the one form my house and also what gauge should i use to to run from my house to the garage? I will be running the wire through the ground. Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wiring for a seperate garage

The home centers are creating a problem, its allowing home owner to think they can do work that professionalsare trained to do.

1st you need more information other than 220 volt line. You need to know the load. Then you need the calculation of the existing service to your house.

At that point you will have to upgrade your service if necessary or add a subpanel if additional load is allowed.

Too many questions with too little information.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Simply said, you need an electrical contractor. This is not a DIY job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why do i need to hire a pro you guys cost way to much! All i really need to know is whats the best gauge of wire i should use to run to the garage. Not really a difficult question guys! iam going to hook up a sub panel and then run it to the garage.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
rollintony04 said:
Why do i need to hire a pro you guys cost way to much! All i really need to know is whats the best gauge of wire i should use
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I the only one that sees how funny that is?

"I don't know what I'm doing, so why would I need to hire somebody?" - thats freaken funny!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I would have beaten you to the post but I had to wipe the orange juice off my screen - after I spit it out in utter dismay and amusement at his approach to soliciting further help.

Tony, I agree with you in one sense; When buying something I don't pay more than the value I perceive that item to hold. If you don't think it's worth the money to hire a pro then by all means you should do it yourself. The public libraries have information to help you as do the 'big box' improvement stores and the internet.
What you're asking requires considerable investigation, analysis and knowledge to develop a proper answer (as previously posted). I wish you all the best in the acquisition of your new skills. Be aware though, if you think it costs a lot to a have pro put it in, you definetly don't want to see what it'll cost to have one fix or replace what you do. Good Luck and work safely.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Oh, come on guys help this dude out. I think 16 gauge from main panel to sub panel with a new box and 50 amp breaker. Or is it 18 gauge with a two pole 15 amp main...........

Buy a book if it is so simple. Then when you burn down the house and the Insurance company won't pay, what are you going to do.

CALL A PRO.. It's worth the money.

P.S. I would love to come to your office and tell everyone you ARE PAID too much for your knowledge. What a knat. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Just plug stuff into outlets in a room in your house closest to the garage, for instance like a drill, run it up to speed and then unplug it and run really fast out to the garage while it is still spinning.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
And now, for something, completely different. (Ey Bruce? ;) ;) )

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
rollintony04 said:
whats the best gauge of wire i should use[?] Not really a difficult question guys!
I think you want one of these

and some of this

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
OK Pipe, I'll go for the cable but that box looks mighty small.
Did you know that they use that stuff in car sound systems today?
For real! 12K of sound equipment in a $600.00 car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
rollintony04 said:
Hi, i just moved into a new house and it has a garage with no electric in it. I need to run 220 to my garage. My house main panel is all full. Do I need a another panel in my house or can i i just put a new main in my garage by jumping the one form my house and also what gauge should i use to to run from my house to the garage? I will be running the wire through the ground. Thank you for all your help.
ok they are all right, you dont know enough to undertake a subpanel thing-- try a different tack-- i wont tell you how ,you need to find that for yourself, but they make space saver breakers, look into that before you go buy that wire.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Marx, this is a contractors site. Not a DIY site. I could see repercussions if rollintony burned his home down due to advice recieved here.
This is a contractors site, make every effort to keep it that way.
There is a link to the DIY site, your visitation there will keep people from coming here, I'm as guilty as most of you about getting over there.
Let's all try a little harder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you guys for all your support! So you think i sholud use 6 gauge from my sub panel and run it under ground to my garage.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Got to give it to rollintony for staying with the program.
I went over every post 3 times and can't figure out where he comes up with 6 Ga. wire. Given his last statement, he's in sales.
I hate to admit it, but I sold Toyotas during a dry spell many years ago, this was called an assumptive close.
I was car scum.

·
Registered
206 Posts
No Tony !!!! As any carpenter knows it is not 6 gauge but 16 gauge and 50 amp breaker. Make sure the subpanel is within 18 inches of the washbasin sink. Always remember code.

Good Luck !!

Make sure Fire Marshall Bill inspects it.

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
If you have to ask what gauge to use you need a pro. No one here has any idea what you want to do in this shop. I agree, I do cost to much, but I am worth it. If I am told I am too high I tell them good luck, because I do not want their business anyway.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
jb, What's a life or lives worth? A. A lot more than an elctrician is going to charge.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
jb, What's a life or lives worth? A. A lot more than an elctrician is going to charge.
im not sure about that, have you seen wht we charge? and we get paid by the hour, and electricians are slow sobs when getting that hr rate. like my old timer buddy burk, says " i only got two speeds and if you dont like this one you sure in hell wont like the other one! :cheesygri

1 - 20 of 39 Posts