Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you guys doing. I am a general contractor constructing a two story library for a public entity, it is approximatly 11,000 sq ft. the library is on the second floor and the parking garage is on the ground floor, (first floor). I am being told to build the 2nd floor (the deck) first then the ground floor. any thoughts?.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
How are you guys doing. I am a general contractor constructing a two story library for a public entity, it is approximatly 11,000 sq ft. the library is on the second floor and the parking garage is on the ground floor, (first floor). I am being told to build the 2nd floor (the deck) first then the ground floor. any thoughts?.

Welcome to the site.
Now why not just start with the roof first??:eek:

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Maybe you are not stating exactly what you mean since what I interpret is that either you or they need a straight jacket and a whole lot of Valium. Can you explain with a little more detail than levitating the second floor in violation of Newton's Law?

Please start a new thread about this in the Construction Forum

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Maybe you are not stating exactly what you mean since what I interpret is that either you or they need a straight jacket and a whole lot of Valium. Can you explain with a little more detail than levitating the second floor in violation of Newton's Law?

Please start a new thread about this in the Construction Forum
A man with a way with words!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a concrete deck (second floor), forms shoring, rebar, they want to pour the second floor first. So we will put our shoring in place, form, set rebar, electrical, etc etc and pour. Then when that is complete and we can remove shoring we will pour ground floor.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
It's a concrete deck (second floor), forms shoring, rebar, they want to pour the second floor first. So we will put our shoring in place, form, set rebar, electrical, etc etc and pour. Then when that is complete and we can remove shoring we will pour ground floor.
:blink:
Huh?

·
framer
154 Posts
If your just talking about placing the slab they do that all the time around here.
Never made much sense to me until I asked and they said it was to protect the finished garage slabs. Some jobs have gone as far as pouring footings well below the slab for shoring posts and such.
I've seen some slabs get pretty banged up just from normal construction,this way the owner gets the nice new floor he paid for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts