Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We replace a lot of windows every year, and I am continually learning and refining our processes.

One option we offer our customers is prefinishing of the interior woodwork of the windows, and the casing as well.

For the clear coat, I've been using General Finishes Enduro-var, applied with an HVLP. I'm able to get very good results this way, but wonder if this is the best product to be using on windows.

My primary concern is UV wear on the clear coat. Most window sill finishes deteriorate pretty quickly due to the sun beating on them constantly.

I have a client that is urging me to use a spar urethane on his new window package (Milgard Essence).

I hesitate do so, the last and only time I tried to spray a spar urethane, the finished product was not up to professional standards.

I don't really want to practice on $15k worth of windows.

What reccomendations do y'all have for a clear topcoat with uv protection. I would prefer a water based product, but can work with solvent based as well.

Thank You

Attachments

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know a painter who uses that product, he specializes in finishing the windows after they are installed. He uses an airless for that.

If I go with the Kem-Aqua, will it work with my 5-stage HVLP? or would an airless be the way to go? I don't own one, and have never used one except for Latex.

·
Registered
13,543 Posts
I spray it through a 4 stage Fuji.

With a large volume you may want to use a pressure pot. I do, 2.5 gallon, pressure set to 12-18 psi at the pot.

Also you want the +, the regular is not UV stabilized.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts