Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there some dream application you wish you could have on your site? Perhaps it doesn't even exist, but it would be nice if it did and your site had it. Maybe you've thought or said, "It sure would be great if ______."

You're not limited to one wish either. What could make your life easier or more productive? What do you wish people could do on your web site that could make them want to choose you?

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing I wish I could do effectively is have my header picture change, but i do not want to use flash like all the other sites use.
There are several ways to do this with Java and JavaScript. Below would be one place to find some possible options:

http://www.hotscripts.com/category/javascript/scripts-programs/image-effects/slide-shows/

Keep in mind that image swapping can easily slow a page load, and some users disable scripting so it won't work for them. One reason Flash is so popular is because it's more predictable and you can keep file sizes down. Just because it's Flash does not mean it has to look like Flash. I would never recommend anyone use those annoying Flash presentations, but Flash does have a lot of good uses.

·
Web Dude
153 Posts
Gotta tell ya Brother, from a web dude and marketing point of view, having an auto estimator is an awful thing to have on your website.

Let's run the scenario.

Visitor comes to your site, sees you have an estimator!

Sweet! They fill it out, get the quote, and then go away.

Maybe they like the estimate, maybe they don't. Maybe they call you, maybe they don't. You have absolutely no chance to explain the estimate and your pricing, differentiate yourself from your competition, or sell them on you at all.

Not good.

What would be better is a contact form gathering their information, what kind of job they want done, and when and how they would like to be contacted.

Once you have that info, you're in control. You can build the relationship, explain why they should work with you, and why your pricing is the way it is. Without all this, your estimate is just a number, and somebody else will always have one lower than you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gotta tell ya Brother, from a web dude and marketing point of view, having an auto estimator is an awful thing to have on your website.

Let's run the scenario.

Visitor comes to your site, sees you have an estimator!

Sweet! They fill it out, get the quote, and then go away.

Maybe they like the estimate, maybe they don't. Maybe they call you, maybe they don't. You have absolutely no chance to explain the estimate and your pricing, differentiate yourself from your competition, or sell them on you at all.

Not good.

What would be better is a contact form gathering their information, what kind of job they want done, and when and how they would like to be contacted.

Once you have that info, you're in control. You can build the relationship, explain why they should work with you, and why your pricing is the way it is. Without all this, your estimate is just a number, and somebody else will always have one lower than you.

ThanX for your reply. Good point. I agree with you

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a good question cbscreative.
I think I would like to have a good power point presentation for each product.
That can be done, but I would most likely suggest one of two options. The reason I would prefer not to use PP is there are better ways. PP will launch within the browser, so that is not an issue. Most people do have PP, but not everyone, so that could be an issue.

PP is primarily used as a visual aid during a presentation such as a speech, class, seminar, etc. It is not so ideal for web presentations.

Flash allows for a lot more design freedom. You can do almost anything your imagination can create. It is highly interactive and has all the presentation flexibility you should need. Almost everyone should be able to view it since it is built right in to modern browsers and has been for years now.

I'm not referring to those annoying Flash intros either. Flash has a lot of great potential if correctly. It's the "Look ma, ain't this cool" use that has given Flash a bad name.

Another good option is video. Once uploaded to YouTube it can be easily embedded right on any page of your web site.

With either of these options, production quality is the important factor.

·
Web Dude
153 Posts
@nEighter

Not to jack the thread from my main man CBS, but check out Lightbox2. Awesome script with a killer look.

Also bro, just checked out your site, big problem. Your site is optimized I'm guessing for 1280X1024? When you scale it down to 1024x800 (which 30% or so of visitors have) you can't see and would have to horizontal scroll. Big no no. Bigggggggg no no.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,981 Posts
I wish every time someone visited my site, $1 would be transferred from their bank account into mine.:whistling

Reactions: nEighter

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,357 Posts
I wish every time someone visited my site, $1 would be transferred from their bank account into mine.:whistling
Hey, I want one of those thingy's on mine too.

Some sort of deal to hypnotise the customer into calling right now to buy a deck or patio would be nice too.

·
Business Consulting
268 Posts
Funny, I thought you were talking about construction site at first, now that would be an interesting question.

·
Registered
412 Posts
They probably have this already, and i have cobbled together my own, but a customer download area for bills, receipts, information, warranties, etc. I don't see my own as ideal as I know there has got to be something already out there. Mine works for the time being. This should save time in the long run, as customers don't have to call me to find out what their warranties are, or for the name of the person who did my plumbing, etc. etc.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts