Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My problem is I am not even knowledgeable enough on this subject to know who I need to talk to.

I have a piece of property that I would like to dig a pond 3/4 acre and use the dirt to build a raised house with a walkout basement. I would like to dig the pond now but do not intend to build the house for several years.

I would like to talk to someone about the project to avoid mistakes right up front. Who do I need to talk to? Some of the questions are.

Will I have enough fill?

Should I pile the fill where I am going to build the house then dig in the hill to pour the foundation, or would I be better off storing the fill away from where the house will set and then build the foundation above ground and back fill? I have many more and would expect an expert to raise many I have not even considered.

Thank you for any guidence. Jim Bunton painter

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
As for building the pond, contact someone in the conservation dept of your state. I know MO has booklets on how to build ponds, and will even send out a guy to help with design/placement/etc. They will also stock it for free if you offer fishing open to the public at least 1 day a year.

Do you have a spring on the property?

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Your excavating contractor will be able to provide that information. They have computer programs that will allow them to take the topo survey of your lot and tell you exactly, within a few yards of material, how much will come out for that pond and how much will be required for the berm around the house. They also have the contacts to get the proper permits (if necessary) to construct the pond, sine they are normally the ones that construct ponds.

We tend to think of excavating contractors as big, dumb guys that run big machines that move dirt. Not so. Don't think of them all as "backhoe operators". Walk into any larger excavating contractor's office, and you'll see CAD stations and drafting tables all over the shop. It's pretty high tech, since they do bid jobs too. They need to have it exact, or they'll lose their butts.

·
Registered
378 Posts
A the very least this project will require approval from state and or local conservation depts.,this could also require approval from the army corp of engineers.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
paintr56 said:
I have a piece of property that I would like to dig a pond 3/4 acre and use the dirt to build a raised house with a walkout basement. I would like to dig the pond now but do not intend to build the house for several years.Should I pile the fill where I am going to build the house then dig in the hill to pour the foundation, or would I be better off storing the fill away from where the house will set and then build the foundation above ground and back fill?
Call a local civil engineering firm and discuss your intentions with them. A good one can guide you through the process and shed light on how to best handle the earth moving and pond construction. Plan first, then involve a contractor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts