Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you use your website for anything other than a digital billboard?

What uses can you think of?

I found a site some time ago that was used for selling custom plans. The contact was all done via email initially, and the 1st set of plans were drawn, and published to a private area of the website for the customer alone to see.

I thought this was a great way to involve the customer, and I'm sure this idea can be twisted and contorted to fit almost any type of project.

Has ayone got any other creative uses for their website?

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
I think its best to stay on topic and just give people an idea of who your company is, what you do, and how to contact you.

I've seen people do a lot of crazy (as in stupid) things with their site. I knew a guy who sold alpacas sweaters, long distance service, and a bunch of other stuff on his painting site. I think thats tasteless.

On the other hand, your idea about selling custom plans can make sense. Educating and/or helping a client is fine as long as your on topic.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
If I had a painting/decorating site I would have a section of the site with patterns and or wall paper and sell those online. Especially patterns since we are now looking for some kind of decorative pattern for our soon to be born child.

"B uy your room now! Only $599*

*$599 is for a 100 square foot room"

LOL get them to pre-pay then for the 100 square feet then go in and ask for extra when the room is $120 square feet. "I'm sorry Mr. Customer. Did you read our return policy on our website? No returns. That's going to be an additional $100. Would you like to use your same credit card or pay by check?"

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grumpy said:
...we are now looking for some kind of decorative pattern for our soon to be born child.
Congrats! Don't work too hard when that kid arrives, you'll regret it. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Web sites can be used for alot more than advertising.

I consider a website to be a tool, an employee that never sleeps. When customers ask questions I can often times refer them to my websites because the answers are there. Much of the time customers will tell me "While I was browising your site..." It's packed with educational information for those who want it.

The other thing the website can be used for, scheduling information for your customers so they are always up to date.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
I use my site for many things. I keep the construction business seperate but do have a link on it to me residential services, seing they are related. Web forms to prequalify future customers.
Behind the scenes there is much used space for things like sharing images, eBay sales, other sites for eBay and many temporary uses. I also store some backups there that are password protected. Todays services give you so much space and traffic that most sites don't use a fraction of either. One thing I have learned to do to save some hosting fees is to redirect other domains through frames to a folder on the main site. It is pretty transparent to the end user and I only host one domain at the site. The others are just folders. The domains are hosted by my hosting provider.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts