Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between the new fiberglass mesh drywall tape and the old paper tape and which one do you guys prefer...Meaning what are the pros and cons of the TWO..Thanks :Thumbs:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I only use mesh for repair work when I'm using setting type compound, all new work I use paper tape, pulled out of a banjo. Mesh is great for diyers and novice tapers since it's nearly impossible to get bubbles in it from not properly embedding the tape with mud.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I use only paper. I love the potential of skirting danger of a hellasious paper cut when folding it for an inside corner and running your fingers down it to get it into a v.

Can you do an inside corner with mesh?

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
I only use paper tape. I did try that self stick mesh once and didn't like it. To thick.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Tape? :eek: maybe that's why it took me so long to get the joints smooth. :cheesygri

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I use mesh, I love tape, but most the time my help is in training and I like to avoid sanding over the mistakes.

Point, counter point: the best way to train the maggots is to use tape and let them sand over their crap.

Bob

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
I prefer paper even for repair work. I seen to always get a bump I have to float out with mesh. Never get that with paper. Plus sanding over mesh I get hairs all the time.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I believe it is appropriate to use tape for sheetrock/drywall jobs. And mesh for veneer plaster jobs. With Drywall - tape has exceptional strength especially for inside corners like the where the wall meets the ceiling. It can resist movements in the structure - mesh has no strength. But for Plaster - plaster is the strength - and mesh acts like a 'matrix' kind of like iron rods in poured cement.

-PlainPainter

P.S. although I have seen some plasterers use tape as well, go figure

·
drywaller
101 Posts
Paper please

I prefer paper all around.

pros:

works in a bazooka
easy to tear off a length you need
wipes nicely
folds nicely into corners