Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
It's a molding called stop molding that's used for windows and doors .Usually 1-3/8'' wide and 3/8'' thick .
Parting Stop? At least what I/we call it.

or Mull, but that's thinner usually 1/4" nominal

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Like other have said--door stop molding--nail one set into the opening---slip in your framed screen--then add another set on the inside---

Old fashioned---and simple---except for the cost of the trim---that's a lot of trim---

·
Registered
13,543 Posts
Get a piece of door stop, parting stop and screen moulding, show them to the person speccing the stop and ask them which one they would like you to use.

In this case I'd lean towards the parting stop, but that is not my call.

Tom

·
Trees are Cool
195 Posts
You need something to fasten the screens to. Make a flat plane with some 1x stock.you will need to scribe it into the shingles, cut a bevel on the one that attaches to the post. On the bottom you will get rot problems .

Bed (caulk) the bottom stop into the wall cap. On the bottom of the screens make sure to put a couple of screws to keep the screens off the cap. This while let it dry. If you can get away with no bottom stop that is even better.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Why in the world did the columns get set with one parallel to the corner miter, & the other turned 45 deg? The side where you have to butt into the corner will get messy.
I know, right? Weird. Going to be a bit more time consuming: messy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts