Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Cole_21 said:
Why did you start your company and what keeps you going?
I have a authority complex. :evil:

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
ppmc said:
I have a authority complex. :evil:

LOL me too. I was sick of working for overpaid know nothing middle management and dealing with their sh$t everyday.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Cole_21 said:
Why did you start your company and what keeps you going?

I figured the is the company I worked for (14 years) could make so many stupid decisions and still be in business, that I could do the same.

I was right!!!

·
Finish Carpentry
396 Posts
I enjoy building and restoring homes, always learning something new, working along side guys like you :cheesygri
OH and I was also tired of catching the bosses mistakes and making him look good :evil: :Thumbs:

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I was treated very well at the company I last worked for. It's always been part of my personality and dreams since I was a little child to run my own company. I can even remember the day I learned the word Entrapaneur.

In addition I felt like I hit a plateau in regards to earnings I knew I physically couldn't sell any more per month because I was working about as many hours as I could. I knew I couldn't charge any more per job because I was already at the high limit. I knew there was no way I could get a promotion because my boss was already at his comfort zone... so what could I do?

In addition I felt like I could do things better, and though I am still working out the bugs in my start up corporation, I still think I can do thing better.

When it boils down to the bottom line, I realize how much support I received from my former boss. It's too bad he and I have different goals and visions for the future because it would have been a beautiful partnership. His strengths compliment my weaknesses and visa versa. He is incredibly strong in production and quality control. I am incredibly strong in sales and overall business management.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Spent most of my live self employed, then went and took a job. I gave it 7 years and really it didn't fit my way of life. I missed making people happy with what I did for them. I am enjoying that again now. Not as much money but I have found that money isn't everything. I love building things. Now, most of the time it is really fun to go to work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Laid off after 29 years and 5 months. Spent a year looking for employment and working the backlog of home projects. A friend asked me to work on her rental property. A light went off. I could make money with my hands. That's how I became a handyman.
A kid in college and a mortgage keeps me going.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I was stuck with the task twice. Couldn't make anywhere near the same money working for somebody else.

The first time I was 20, Dad was killed in a plane crash and I was the only one with enough knowledge of the projects to see them to completion.

The second time was the implementation of the luxury tax. Need I say more?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
...and I always do what I can.
I always eat what I can, and what I can't...I can. :cheesygri

1 - 20 of 22 Posts