Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did 50 square feet of natural stone today.

I used a paint brush dipped in water to strike the joints.

It turned out nice.

What do you use to strike the joints of natural stone?

Do you hit the stone and or mortar joints with a wire brush once the mortar is dry?

Should I seal the mortar with anything to protect it? It is outside.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Wood only. i pretty much always use wood to finish my joints. not trying to be rude but nothing in the world (well maybe sacks of money or threats of incredible violence to my family) could get me to finish my joints with a wet paint brush. Joints that are hit wet are bound to fail in a decade or less.

I will also use my slicker to tool the joints but the finishing is really done by beating the joints with a firm brush. Purists use a salmon brush, i just use anything with a stiff bristle, a nylon brush does a good job. The slicker goes at thumbprint hard, the brush a few minutes after.

For raised joints of course I have to use a wet finish with the steel tool

·
Registered
502 Posts
Old school sorry but I gotta keep the labor busy doing something. Grout bag separates men from boys in reference to natural stone veneers. Drill hopper grout guns serve a purpose in certain situations.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
I use that little brush for most styles that I do in one way or another especially rake out or flush. For ribbons and ridges I use it on the outside perimeters.

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
superseal said:
Loop handle wire brush, then horsehair final brush.

Now don't tell anybody I told ya :whistling
Same exact set up, I always pick some up in random hardware stores in the welding section. Don't point as much as I use to, that little brush was my go to. Then horsehair brush.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Same exact set up, I always pick some up in random hardware stores in the welding section. Don't point as much as I use to, that little brush was my go to. Then horsehair brush.
Every time I come across them, I buy the whole rack ;)

I got a whole bucket full of them still new in the package because I keep thinking their going to stop making them :laughing:

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I will also use my slicker to tool the joints but the finishing is really done by beating the joints with a firm brush. Purists use a salmon brush, i just use anything with a stiff bristle, a nylon brush does a good job. The slicker goes at thumbprint hard, the brush a few minutes after.
That's how i do it too, except I use a tuck pointer to fill the joint.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.