Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These are my basic brush & Roller cleaning tools Not pictured is my water spray gun

I had a crew of 10 guys working for me during a SUPER-8 Remodel, At least 5 of them were seasoned painters, On about the 6th or 7th day I noticed that they would wash all the paint out of their brushes and rollers each afternoon. NOTE: They all had a HUSKY 7 in 1 tool in their pockets with the same curved feature on it.

When I pointed at the large curved part of my Paint Brush comb and asked if anyone knew what this was for. (Insert Cricket sound effect here). NOTHING!!!!
I told all 6 of the guys painting that day to bring me their rollers and proceeded to demonstrate how much paint is in a roller no matter how dry you roll it onto the wall. With the 6 rollers I almost filled a 1 gallon bucket with what this tool squeezed out of the rollers. One of them actually had a response... "This guy has enough money, it doesn't matter if we waste paint!" I made the same face you just did!

Figure on a 2 month+ job, 5 days a week these rollers not being properly drained each day, we would have been way short on paint by the end of the job. Luckily I caught it early and only lost about 5 gallons.

Back to the subject... Do you use chemicals, soap or just plain old water? Besides the above tools of course.

My preference is water. the chems seem to stay in the brush.

MZ-HANDYMAN

·
Super Moderator
11,331 Posts
MZ-HANDYMAN is bacK !!!
:thumbup::notworthy

Let the party begin!!!

(secretly, im a fan):shifty:
He couldn't have been gone that long. He just joined June 2009.:laughing:

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
He couldn't have been gone that long. He just joined June 2009.:laughing:
im a fan in the sense that MZ provides great entertainment--he sometimes flips out on the interweb--being sorta new, he seems to take other members' posts personally...

good for a few laughs:laughing:

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
im a fan in the sense that MZ provides great entertainment--he sometimes flips out on the interweb--being sorta new, he seems to take other members' posts personally...

good for a few laughs:laughing:
Yeah, I'm new to the web.... Been on the internet since it's inception in the early 80's. And the screwed up picture was simply in a (PRIVATE) folder I didn't know this forum blocked private albums.

Enough about this lets try and stay on the subject.

Does anyone use chemicals?
MZ-HANDYMAN

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
Yeah, I'm new to the web.... Been on the internet since it's inception in the early 80's. And the screwed up picture was simply in a (PRIVATE) folder I didn't know this forum blocked private albums.

Enough about this lets try and stay on the subject.

Gettin back to the topic, it depends on the paint itself

If latex based-I use water

If oil based--I use chemicals

never have used chemicals with latex or vise versa.

Good luck:thumbsup:

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
ICI has an alkyd paint that cleans up with water, dont ever use it. It dries before you can touch the brush to whatever you are painting.
I have seen brush cleaner for sale, but water works for me.
I dont like that new thinner that is water based, I had a guy give me a gallon, it might thin paint ok, I didnt try it, but it doesnt clean brushes for crap.
Oh well , pretty soon we wont be able to get alkyd paints so we wont need anything but water

·
Registered
910 Posts
I usually feel the need to pee at some point during the day, some may consider it chemicals but it sure do clean the brushes :thumbup:

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I usually feel the need to pee at some point during the day, some may consider it chemicals but it sure do clean the brushes :thumbup:
I'm trying to type while laughing but are you serious? Won't that make your brushes smell like hell after they've set a while (In case you don't rinse them afterwards.)

I'm a firm beleiver in moistening my brush in whatever solvent that is recommended for cleaning my paint or cover to be applicated, Be it water, thinner, Mineral spirits or whatever, Clean up is a breeze if you simply do this to start. Not being messy and over dunking helps too.

You were kidding right?
MZ-HANDYMAN

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts

You mean like,

benzoylmethylecgonine

Cannabis sativa

D-Lysergic Acid Diethylamide,

benzodiazepines

1-phenylpropan-2-amine

Not me, not ever.:no:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I clean my (latex) brushes out with warm water, in the slop-sink in my basement.

Oil brushes I soak in thinner (standing up strait & off the bottom), then wire brush and spin before the next use.

Rollers - I don't clean out..ever. Not worth my time. Might use a good one, two or three days in a row (plastic bag at night), but it goes in the trash after the job.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I clean my (latex) brushes out with warm water, in the slop-sink in my basement.

Oil brushes I soak in thinner (standing up strait & off the bottom), then wire brush and spin before the next use.

Rollers - I don't clean out..ever. Not worth my time. Might use a good one, two or three days in a row (plastic bag at night), but it goes in the trash after the job.
Really? Rollers get better with age, the first cleaning takes the lint off.

For latex, I always have two or three five gallon buckets with tight fitting lids filled 2/3's with water, then dump them out on some old cardboard behind the shop at the end of the day.

For oil, I have several one gallon containers of paint thinner containing varying degrees of dilution. Dump some in a pail to clean the brush, then dump back into the appropriate can. Let the thinner sit a few days for the solids to settle, then pour off the clean thinner into a clean container.

I only clean oil at the shop, however I always carry a pint of thinner for those 'oh crap' on the job moments we pros never admit to :whistling

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Let the thinner sit a few days for the solids to settle, then pour off the clean thinner into a clean container.
Hmmm, I've done the (Settling solids) thing before and re-used the thinner in a pinch. I hadn't considered actually processing it like that to re-use it. That may just be a TIP-OF-THE-DAY!

Next time I use thinner to clean a brush I'm going to set the used thinner aside in a glass jar to see how well it'll work!

Thanks for the tip!
MZ-HANDYMAN

1 - 20 of 21 Posts