Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Do company's avoid hiring ex contractors for fear of losing clients?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last year was a terrible year for me, things got slow on all fronts and I had a string of bad luck...

I've been Licensed for more than 8 years now and in the industry for 18, last year i had a Builder go under with 130k of my money after the owner bailed on the contract (and their building), we are still in the legal effort to recover so i wont discuss here, but that's not what I want to talk about.

I'm wondering what you think about the fact that it was next to impossible for me to find regular work. I'm a professional in my field, I've run 100+ crews in the past and managed to build out several great suites (American Express, Fox News, Teamsters union, Miss America, Yellowbook, Bank of America Etc., Etc.,) yet I couldn't get hired...

Finally a good friend of mine told me what had happend to him back in 1992, he said he went through the same thing, but realized that no company would hire him for fear that once he'd get back on his feet that he would start contracting again and possibly take some clients with him.

Makes sense I guess, so I stuck it out and I hope things turn around but I've burnt through cash like I was trying to keep from freezing and I've got legal bills, plus it's still cut throat out here, and so finding work still doesn't amount to much money... but the question is: Do company's avoid hiring ex Contractors for fear of them stealing their clients?

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But it's not like they need to train me, I could probably teach their people a thing or two.
(Not because I'm so smart, I just might have a different perspective... and it would be a managerial position, I wont go Grunt for someone else just yet)

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Last year was a terrible year for me, things got slow on all fronts and I had a string of bad luck...

I've been Licensed for more than 8 years now and in the industry for 18, last year i had a Builder go under with 130k of my money after the owner bailed on the contract (and their building), we are still in the legal effort to recover so i wont discuss here, but that's not what I want to talk about.

I'm wondering what you think about the fact that it was next to impossible for me to find regular work. I'm a professional in my field, I've run 100+ crews in the past and managed to build out several great suites (American Express, Fox News, Teamsters union, Miss America, Yellowbook, Bank of America Etc., Etc.,) yet I couldn't get hired...

Finally a good friend of mine told me what had happend to him back in 1992, he said he went through the same thing, but realized that no company would hire him for fear that once he'd get back on his feet that he would start contracting again and possibly take some clients with him.

Makes sense I guess, so I stuck it out and I hope things turn around but I've burnt through cash like I was trying to keep from freezing and I've got legal bills, plus it's still cut throat out here, and so finding work still doesn't amount to much money... but the question is: Do company's avoid hiring ex Contractors for fear of them stealing their clients?
In 1992 Similar happened to me. What I did was dumb down my resume!

It seamed to have worked after the recession was over I had a job. In fact I went back to swinging a hammer without any worries about clients etc..

I did it because of a huge hit from a client also. Then the wife left and shoot, I couldn't have delt with customers in that state.:no:

Hang in there! I think more of your problem might be just a result of the current recession or depression we are in.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got about 8 months between me and the streets, if NOTHING else comes through, and I don't settle, but still I'm having trouble adjusting to this new reality, where hard work & talent still doesn't get you ahead, i've been broke before just not with two kids and my dogs.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I've got about 8 months between me and the streets, if NOTHING else comes through, and I don't settle, but still I'm having trouble adjusting to this new reality, where hard work & talent still doesn't get you ahead, i've been broke before just not with two kids and my dogs.
Where are you from?

·
Average Joe
1,209 Posts
Depends on who's hiring you.

A former GC vs a perpetual employee...they both have pros and cons.

From an employer's perspective, a former GC has long range vision and can see the job in it's entirety and take cost and time considerations into account (hopefully). They know what it's like out there, can appreciate customer relations, and multi task quite well (ideally).

A perpetual employee (say a carpenter), keeps his mouth shut, shows up, puts in work, punches out. They don't get too greedy, don't interfere in your business and won't try to steal work from under you (ideally).

I've had both, and I find that the perpetual employee proves to be a better employee than a former GC. Former GC is always thinking about, how much THEY could have been making on this job if it wasn't for the fact that they took a few hits and now they have to work for you dumb [email protected]@. They have the entrepeunerial (sp?) drive and think they are as good/better than you.

I would take the advice of either dumbing down your resume, OR really stress how you are a loyal employee who knows how to follow orders and keep in line.

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
Some contractors don't hire people who have worked for themselves because they feel that they become lazy and don't work as hard. They also know that once the opportunity arises, the person will leave because they can make more money. They usually just want people who will do the work and stick around.

On the other hand I find contractors who need people to do the work, but would rather hire someone as a sub to avoid all the paperwork and added costs/headaches.

Sometimes I try to figure out what people are looking for before I let them know about licenses and insurance.

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm from a Suburb of Los Angeles California, just east of Pasadena.

When I left my old Company I didn't take anything with me, I started all from scratch New clients New Subs new crew... all new, and I wasn't even happy about the new owner of the company, I just didn't want to step on toes. I've never burnt a bridge in my life, personal or business but still I think it may be considered a possibility by those who don't know me.

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I thought of going in as a sub with 1099 ... but as I said; I'm sticking it out for now... I'm still paying for all my insurances and such, plus I'm wearing my tools again.

Just would like to know what to do if things go south, maybe dumb down my resume or not.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Hi ,Ben Where are you located? I don't have any answers for you---I've not looked for a job in so many years.

This is an interesting subject--There are also a number of contractors who may have a suggestion.(and maybe even a job lead) That's why I asked where you are located.--MIKE--

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and i guess i won't be able to give them my current employer information for the last 8 years, i'd give them one of my subs contact info and just flat out lie?

It seems I might be better off telling them I just got fed up with chasing the money and I just want a 6am to 3pm...

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
A funny thing happened to me last month. I found a company that needed a sub for installs. I sent them just some basic info, but included a pic of myself. The guy called me right away. The pic is what did it. It showed I wasn't a loser in clothes with holes or an illegal. When I had a meeting with him the next day he was still getting bombarded with calls from all sorts of clucks. He even showed me some of the background info people were faxing to him. Some pretty pathetic stuff.

As for the resume, you've got to change things depending on what they want. Can't use just one resume for everything. Change it up to highlight what they are looking for.

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well Shazaam! Bfranks youe's from orange county, 'Course you're beautiful!

But us L.A folks don't have those kinda looks, or the thinking that a picture would do it...

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
well Shazaam! Bfranks youe's from orange county, 'Course you're beautiful!

But us L.A folks don't have those kinda looks, or the thinking that a picture would do it...
It worked for him. I think that is all he is saying.

I don't think you want a long term job and anyone that can read people well can see it all over you. Now if you found someone that just needed to expand the crew for a sudden spurt of work, then your experience may look more attractive if they were looking for some type of lead guy.

You either need to be clear with your intentions or better at covering them is my guess. But How can I know for sure?

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice Dog Gus!

I understand what BkFranks is sayin' I'm just joshin' ... still, theirs something to the whole dumbing down your resume.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts