Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is a mid 90's article from the the local paper I cut out...been a long time now and I'm not even sure Bucky is still around.

I do believe I have the trowel he's holding in that pic however and I'm willing to barter :whistling

Who the hell uses a 6 x 14 anyways...gotta have Popeye arms or something.

Come on, some one give me an offer would ya ;)
I'd give you $30 for it....I've been looking for one for years...used a cohort's many years ago, and sorta liked it. Yours looks like it's all still there!

Lemme know......maybe I'll throw in a beach umbrella :thumbup:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It does make a decent hawk on occasion, but a lot of real estate to clean up.

Good catch there Heavy,...it is a rhino.

Don't tell me your seeing those snapping as well.

I dunk mine in the water to clean it up :thumbup:
No never seen a break. They are so flimsy when you fold them out 6' hard to mark poles good when the ruler is smacking your hard hat. The numbers wear quicker and they fan quicker.
We are always laying modular, I never let my guys carry spacing rulers. If we need them we got bad problems. Yes I know they make modular rulers also tried them but don't use them for reasons above.

·
Accent Masonry LLC
97 Posts
Years ago i worked with a mason who had braid towel made in shepfield England. That trowel could cut throw the rose trowel like a knife but i guess they don't make them anymore factory burned down.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The notch not sure what part of hand forging could leave it. Made from one piece of forged heat treated steel. Is it a particular trade mark of the tradesman. One piece shouldn't have any voids. The top side where shank meets heal of blade is super odd. Seems undersized compared to all others I've been viewing. Or posses and have purchased in the past. Still digging at WRose/Kraft for an accountable answer. Might be the Kraft factor? Not sure how long the merger or take over or partnership has existed?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Here's a photo of broken blade and no divot in the original. Never bought one either never will poor quality control my guess in reference to divot and odd undersized shank top side. 20150531_114719.jpeg

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So I found it in 2001 Kraft acquired WRose. Now the answers I've been looking are clearing quickly for myself. This issue that has developed and am experiencing reminds me of a similar quality issue. Back in the later 70's most every Mason carried/ used American I beam levels. Then I'm guessing from memory only. About 10 or 15 years ago or so American was bought out by M&D. Quality we enjoyed for decades flushed down the crapper. Now seeing Masons touting American levels is non existent. Beginning to assume possibly this is a similar situation? Just a semi educated guess do to similarities.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
I can tell you they do have a seconds pile - rejects that are flagged by quality control and not sold to the public.

They do operate out of the same ancient building using the same ancient machinery as they always did.

I drive by daily and nothing has changed in my 30+ years I've known of Rose.

Could be a quality control issue I suppose regarding what gets out the door, I don't know.

If your concerned...I just contact them again and tell them your not happy with the chunk missing and I'm sure they'll ship you a new one.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Email sent again. First one in regards to issue was cut off at customer service even after requested a QC/QA representative view and respond. So again another email sent today and specifically requested that customer service push it up the food chain. I'm sure the lady that responded at customer service has handled zero trowels as well as performed QC/QA practices? I'm assuming desk jockey that throws out generic responses and answers phone calls.
No contact information available for PA. everything references KS.

·
Vendor
6,346 Posts
That broken blade could only have happened in one way, and they are not going to give you a new one for cutting brick with your trowel.

Rose was bought out and so were Hubbard by Kraft, but both are allowed to do exactly as they always have and are both still under the immediate control of their old owners. I will make a call for clarification of the forge marks on Tuesday, I am sick as a dog and not planning on going to work tomorrow.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The gentleman I spoke with at Kraft/WRose and I had a very detailed conversation about cutting brick with a trowel. Would quote him word for word but don't want to misquote him. His analogy went like this: you don't run your vehicle a quart low on oil while it's not recommended people do it all the time and the vehicle usually runs just fine. I agreed, he said while we don't recommend cutting brick with your trowel but it is done on every job site.
The irony is we are not allowed to use anything but saw cuts by contract to include batts. Argument being it causes unseen fractures in the unit. And another discrepancy is we were on a block job. When the trowel got twangy I asked to look at it and seen the crack. So here we are?
In my laying days I cut every batt on the job with my trowel. Never ever broke a trowel. My father did it for 55 years and never broke a trowel. The one other that broke of mine personally was during frigid weather and I hit the mud pan and the trowel handle and half of the blade was in my hand other half fell beside mud pan. I've seen guys cut wire with trowels no breaks. Returned a trowel some time back broken almost in two a Mason was going to throw out. No questions asked.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yes, it would be silly of masons not to cut brick and wire with the tool at hand. Just don't bring it back and say it is a defect.
Do you understand that we do not live in a perfect world? So nothing is perfect if it was warranties wouldn't even exist. Things break in the real world sometimes for no reason? You are taking this awfully personally? As a matter of fact your words are pretty much identical of the vendor that wouldn't replace the trowel initially?
So all I can say is show me the video that proves your accusation. :clap:
I suppose you've never taken a craftsmen tool back for replacement that you willingly knowingly misused.
Or a Kobalt product, your just an angle of honesty and integrity. Probably the first guy in the door Sunday morning?
You have a twisted angle on this whole thread for some under lying reason. Nuff said enjoy your life.:censored:

·
Vendor
6,346 Posts
Um, OK. I sell those trowels, no secret there. I also have used them enough to understand how they are used. I am not saying you shouldn't cut brick or wire with your trowel, it is efficient and productive. But it is not a defect in the tool, and don't bring it back to me when you break it claiming that it is.

I don't have any Kobalt tools, and they are not craftsman grade anyway. I can promise that I have never taken a tool back that I abused and claimed a defective product.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
As so frequently happens here the point and reason for the post is misconstrued beyond the original issue. The facts are the trowel broke the trowel carries a lifetime warranty and WRose stepped right up and replaced it.
The foremost question as the post began was simple. What to you think of the " hand picked" trowel sent as the replacement? I'm guilty myself of getting caught up by the instigation.
Let's remember 5 very important words that are the key stone to a successful business. THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT.
I think it is bad business to have a mind set as the gentleman above clearly uses his own clouded judgement and crystal ball to form opinionated personal attacks on customers? Hopefully I'll never have the misfortune of doing business in Austin.:no::clap:

·
Vendor
6,346 Posts
The customer is not always right, and the fact that you say that shows me how much you know about business. Let me give you an example you can relate to. Your customer is the GC, right? They are the ones giving you a check, so they are. Are your GC's always right?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I clean mine on a mud board. Pour a little water on it and swirl it around till the bottom is clean and do the same to the top. Gets a polish every time. Take a bucket of water, dip my trowel in and rub another trowel or pointing trowel on the face i'm cleaning. Repeat on the opposite face.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
The customer is not always right, and the fact that you say that shows me how much you know about business. Let me give you an example you can relate to. Your customer is the GC, right? They are the ones giving you a check, so they are. Are your GC's always right?
Like to see that statement on your business card or better yet I'm sure those are the first words out of your mouth when/ if you meet/have any clients.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts