Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

What do you think of KILZ?

109K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  Repairman615 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I lead the new product development efforts at Masterchem / KILZ and would like to ask you for your thoughts on our products.

This is an "anything goes" request... the good, the bad the ugly I would like to hear it all.

Your opinions are a vital part of our product development efforts and I appreciate you taking the time to provide them!

Sincerely,
Darren Stoddart

#3 ·
I used to think of Kilz as a product that would seal stains prior to painting. The latex version doesn't do that, at least not well. I once used the oil base to seal pet urine stains on a plywood sub-floor. About a year ago I tried that with latex kilz. About 6 coats later I gave up.

Reactions: dstoddart
#7 ·
Hello Everyone!

I lead the new product development efforts at Masterchem / KILZ and would like to ask you for your thoughts on our products.

This is an "anything goes" request... the good, the bad the ugly I would like to hear it all.

Your opinions are a vital part of our product development efforts and I appreciate you taking the time to provide them!

Sincerely,
Darren Stoddart
Darren. I've been using kilz oil exclusively as a stain blocking primer for 15 years.
I have not one thing bad to say about it. It's never let us down.
And, I have certainly put it to the test. From hurricane damage to using it on every popcorn removal job I've done (hundreds).:thumbup:

Even Nicotine:--->Nicotine Before and After photo's

-Paul

Removing the popcorn texture:

After the ceilings were redone and the walls were painted:

#8 ·
Kilz 2 premium is a great product been using it as our everyday primer for sometime. The oil base has been in our line up for years.... As for water stains even Bin doesn't always cover in one coat. The trick is the longer you let the primer dry the more it will stop the bleed.

I know time is money but ya gota do what ya got to do....

#14 ·
I have been using kilz for years... even lost my 'get high off paint' virginity with Kilz as a teen ager working for my dad. However, as of late, the new oil base kilz available here in Buffalo NY, to be honest. The stuff sucks. I finally used up the rest of the old stock (my dad used to buy Kilz by the pallet for plaster work) and I had to go buy kilz at home depot about a year ago. The new stuff, vs what I had from the 1990's. No comparison.

However as far as latex primers go, I wont even bother with the latex kilz. total waste of time and money. The one product that I have found to really work well as a primer, is Gripper, by Glidden. That stuff doesnt even want to come off of glass.

#15 ·
I'm painting rooms that had water damage from Ice dams (now has a new roof..no ice dams)

I used the Latex and the stains kept bleeding through.
I went to Sherwin Williams to ask John, my paint Guru.
He said the difference in the alcohol and latex is that the alcohol will set up quicker and seal the stain.
The latex draws moisture and doesn't seal the stain before the moisture comes to the surface.

mmmmm made sense. Got the alcohol based...1st coat...gone!!!!!!

Different purposes for different products......

#17 ·
My paint store doesnt sell kilz, I always use Zinnser oil. I have been turned off of kilz for years just because I am tired of hearing clueless homeowners asking "you gonna kilz that first?", thinking everything needs a coat of oil based primer. After being told by a homeowners friend that my job of painting a ceiling (a tan ceiling that I was painting blue) would have looked much better if I would have kilz'd it first I came up with a new slogan for them
"Kilz, making primer for people who have no clue what primer is for since 19xx"

#18 ·
in addition to it not being a great stain blocker, the water based stuff separates far too quickly. as a handyman i dip into a 2 gallon bucket every other week or so and it needs much more remixing than other latex primers. glidden's primer works better for me all around.
i'll use latex killz instead of pva because it's about the same cost and i like it more, but that's about it.

#19 ·
Hello Everyone!

Sincerely,
Darren Stoddart
Darren, You might want to change your Contractor Talk status before you get flagged.

Read this--->Advertising Rules

-Paul

#21 ·
Solicitation of ideas not allowed

Darren, You might want to change your Contractor Talk status before you get flagged.
Read this--->

-Paul
Thank you for the link Paul, the rules pretty clearly state that as a supplier I am not allowed to "solicit" ideas or feedback on my company's products which is unfortunate but a rule is a rule.

As you point out this thread will likely get flagged so before it does I would like to thank everyone again for your input!

My apologies to the contractortalk admins for accidentally overlooking this policy.

#20 ·
Sort of like a poll this is,,, I've never been inclined to Kilz, Unless they changed things, I just stick to Bulls eye, 123, for an extra tough primer, It has a sheen so I can keep the eggshell or semi gloss not too far away, it say's it is Ok for exterior, for super stick, stain killing and recoat in an hour. I don't believe half of it but at least I'm not waiting four to five. Usually I want it for over fast dry plasters that I think need a better quality primer. Kilz just seems like drywall primer with a fancy name. I usually opt for Bin when I want stain killing or super stick for trim. What is it with paint companies that have three lines when one will do, doesn`t that increase the cost for stocking a shelf

#22 ·
Like many others I have only found the kilz oil (original) useful. It will seal many stains, not all, but many. I can barely stand spraying kilz let alone an alcohol sealer like bin.

The one benefit of the kilz oil primer no one has highlighted is that it sands quite well after 24 hours.

#23 ·
I used the oil based Kilz 20 years ago on my first house remodel, a fire damaged house with black soot on every wall. It covered and sealed in the soot and the smell. I am currently using the oil based Kilz to seal in cat urine odors in a double wide rental... I hope it will do the job for me and I am pretty confident it will.

The latex version... I have no use for.

#25 ·
I tried out the Kilz Pro X 300 series. Not to bad and around 100 for 5.

Needs alot of stiring and seems to settle easily. Overall I thought it was decent. Seems a bit thinner than Behr and would be great for spraying.

I also tried the dead flat sheen on the ceilings. I think it was about $70/5. I thought the dead flat looked nice on the ceilings. The mixer at some cheapo even thew in a Kilz Pro X fan deck - Score.:clap:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.