Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fella called me tonight and sent me these pictures. Havnt gone out there yet, but my guess is there is gas being vented up the chimney somewhere.

He said he had a gas furnace but he thinks it isnt vented out the chimney, and he has a gas log that he doesnt hardly use?

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
It does look like a liner issue or lack thereof - however, that efflorescence on the bottom portion is pretty wide spread to be conclusive.

Maybe just poor quality workmanship allowing a lot of water intrusion and the efflorescence is having it's way.

How old is the structure anyway?

If everything checks out fine - I'd clean that puppy down in some better weather and hit it with a flood coat of PD...unless of course, you're from the "no sealer" camp- I can't remember :rolleyes:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't know what the cause of it happening is, with leaks I think they go to the highest point but that's leaks. It could get washed and sealed, It could show helps to clean and see how long it's taking to form like that and obviously just maintenance. A sealer when clean, good luck with that if scrub brushing and buckets or something, could show if it's happening mainly from the weather. You'll probably check flashing but stains go higher. As mentioned could be on the inside and not the flash job, could be a flu liner. Could be its cord brick idk?

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just noticed underneath the bluestone cap, what is that?

It look up tight whatever it is, a metal liner top or clay flue?

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He said the house is 7 years old, from one of the nicest towns around, probably built more or less correctly I would hope.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
7 years...lime bleed usually presents after a season or 2.

I'd guess at gas from a bad liner as well., but yeah like SS says there shouldn't be much if any below where the logs enter. do you see any PVC for the furnace venting? It's unlikely anyone would be using anything but a Hi eff furnace if you guys are north and it's in a decent neighbourhood.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a hunch there is a gas furnace without a liner. Maybe 1 in each chimney. I dont know how much horsepower those have, if people need 2 of those on good sized houses.

Either way, its a gas problem one way or the other.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
2 different chimneys, same problem? I would venture a guess that water is penetrating the top of the corbeling detail and saturating the masonry.
Very possible...no effloresence above the corbelling, but the corbelling would also keep the brick away from the duct and the gases would condense around the pipe rather than on the brick. Hmmmmm tough one.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I have a hunch there is a gas furnace without a liner. Maybe 1 in each chimney. I dont know how much horsepower those have, if people need 2 of those on good sized houses.
2 furnaces in 1 house? rare but sometimes if the house has a couple "wings" Usually the duct work is just balanced

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
2 furnaces in 1 house? rare but sometimes if the house has a couple "wings" Usually the duct work is just balanced
Normal here for big houses, I've seen 3&4 furnaces a few times.

Reactions: JBM

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Yes well rare meaning in a normal house, normal being up to maynbe 4500sqft. Yes 5000sqft houses and bigger, often do (although I more commonly see radiant floor in those houses) but those houses aren't common.

How big is this place. I would have guessed at 3000, 3500

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Yes well rare meaning in a normal house, normal being up to maynbe 4500sqft. Yes 5000sqft houses and bigger, often do (although I more commonly see radiant floor in those houses) but those houses aren't common.

How big is this place. I would have guessed at 3000, 3500
The lions share of my work is in large houses, but I'd say every one over 3.5k has two furnaces.

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
looks like the top of s s cap under the stone cap.
They sometimes use a electronic damper which shuts when the burner stops.The clycle of on and off heat on an exterior chimney is a condensation problem.
A few times I had similar problems with center chimneys after new gas furnaces were inatalled .I had to crack the cleanout door a tad [down in the baement] worked good. Another time I disconected the electric damper. The new boilers need tiny chimneys as they don't keep warm.
I bet they sleeved it with coil and its sweating bigtime but who knows for sure

1 - 20 of 48 Posts