Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been across a few states this last few weeks and have noticed a lot of company's advertising about recommended contractors and what ones are worth getting to do your work. Have any of you guys signed up for these things or are they a scam like the ones in the UK are.

I signed up for one that cost about £80 a month and they said that we would get thousands of £ worth of work because i will be in their system and would rate me as a pro contractor without even seeing my work. After a year of zero work from this company i looked a little closer and found out that the members who pay more subscription a year get better reviews left. They left fake reviews depending on how much you paid a year. :blink:

·
Tiling & Bath Contractor
270 Posts
I personally don't care for Angie's List. They are always on the side of the homeowner, even when in reality, the homeowner is wrong.

Also it's easy enough for anybody to write a fake review of a contractor.

Websites like this are only out to make money IMO.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
I like the new ANGIE'S LIST commercial where the contractor is watching the customers television and ordering adult pay per view movies :lol:

But in reality that makes us all look like morons so this makes the customer think they actually need Angie's list!

·
Banned
669 Posts
Angie's list, Servicemagic, yellow pages, blue book etc.,

Personally I'd rather sign up for free directories (like the ones posted in "sales & Marketing") I'll never pay a dime for any of these services!

you sign up to enough free listings it might be almost as good as the leads off of one of these paid services!

·
Zimmermann
328 Posts
referrals pay the largest dividends....

·
Registered
124 Posts
You don't have to sign up for angies or pay for advertising . A few clients put good reviews about me on there and i got jobs . Those clients added more good reviews and i got more jobs . Its not so bad , but most of the clients are super picky wack-jobs.

Whatever you do, don't sign up for advertising or ever pay anything.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
You don't have to sign up for angies or pay for advertising . A few clients put good reviews about me on there and i got jobs . Those clients added more good reviews and i got more jobs . Its not so bad , but most of the clients are super picky wack-jobs.

Whatever you do, don't sign up for advertising or ever pay anything.
Why, what consequences did you experience from that?

Ed

·
Commercial Estimator
11 Posts
my 2 cents

In my area there is a small local non-profit website that has been posting contractor reviews for the last two years. Whenever I finish a project I give my customers a thank you letter and I ask them to write a review for me. Most of my customers are happy to write a review, and after each one is posted I seem to get a handful of phone calls from homeowners with similar projects [ siding projects, additions, etc ].

I am also listed on Angieslist, but in the last year have only received one phone call from an Angieslister-- this person was wanting me to repair a few shingles on her asbestos roof. My response: find a handyman. :whistling

·
Registered
210 Posts
I like the new ANGIE'S LIST commercial where the contractor is watching the customers television and ordering adult pay per view movies :lol:

But in reality that makes us all look like morons so this makes the customer think they actually need Angie's list!
I didn't know they were secretly video taping me!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just had a homeowner send me an e-mail today and told me that she added me to angies list and gave me a great review so we shall see how it works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts