Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you prefer? Install siding first and then the soffits or vice versa?

I'm working on a project where we plan to use cedar T&G for the soffits and then Hardie vertical panels (batten board style).

Which do you prefer to install first and for what reasons?

1. Install the siding first and then run the T&G under the soffits to the siding.
  2. Install the T&G under the soffits first and then run the siding to the T&G.

I can't think of any reason one way is better then the other but maybe others here can share some good reasons to go with one over the other.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
I bet its 50/50 ...We used to run the vinyl all the way up strike a line and zip screw the j to the siding then do soffit.etc.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
it depends on how much scaffold we have on site typically, if we have enough to set up a tower all the way up a wall right from the get go. 1 guy goes up and does soffit while hte siding gets started below by a couple guys,

as the siding gets going while one is finising up 2 guys start another wall starting low as the staging gets free`d up then the soffit will go on. we never run vinyl up through and then install the trim over it..

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
I prefer to run my soffits first. The main reason for this is I don't use a level for siding. I pull a line off each corner of the house. Sometimes the fascia is ran out of level or has irregularities in it. If I run the soffits first I can fix this and then when I pull my string it's perfect.

I also will never will trap the siding behind the soffit.

A good example of why is one of the projects we are on now. Cedar shingle ran all the way up, then they nailed a cedar 1x6 freeze over it, then they screwed aluminum j-channel to the 1x6 freeze.

Since we are only replacing the siding, we are having to cut all the cedar at the bottom of the 1x6 freeze otherwise all the soffits come down with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts