Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I spent a lot of money on booze, cigars and women. The rest of it I just wasted.
Haha

My brother was saying the other day if he had saved all the money he spent on booze/bars during his time building he could have brought a house - since we party a bit less now and drink better beer (I love you craft ) I recon we are probably at 2.5 homes combined now

My advice would be to learn to home brew early ;-)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hope for the best but plan for the worst

Money is not all its cracked up to be if your too busy working

People will always let you down

Common sense is not that common

Software salesman are not very friendly once you have paid

You are not going to make as much as you thought on this job

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
What I didn't know then, is that I'd still be here now.

That means in spite of my most reckless behavior, opportunities lost, safe choices snubbed, broken bones mended, people pissed off, I survived being me.

That failure hurts, but is temporary, success thrills and breeds more, that friends aren't, but real ones eventually will show up, that family thinks you are crazy - and they are right - but incredibly boring, that banks only like you when you don't need them.

And finally, this: That no matter what I dreamed, I should have dreamed bigger, risked more, laughed more, cared less about what others think, and spit in the eye of anybody that wished poor on me.

Life: Eat it up and spit out the bones - or it will do the same to you.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
This site has been a great asset to me. Long before I made an account I would research tools, and find answers to my questions here. Now that I'm posting, it's just nice to have a place where people understand what you are talking about.

Of course when I started there was almost no internet available, and no sites to visit even if you could connect.

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
I started before computers were common. Then the big thing was dialup and usenet. They had moderated and unmoderated forums, all text, but I heard they had pictures on some "specialty" sites.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would say for me, not to be afraid to try anything. Yes, some things are over my head (especially electrical/plumbing) but even if you give it a shot and can't get it done right, at least trying and failing provides a learning experience. When I was young, I was afraid to try anything electrical or plumbing related. After doing several projects, I found that there was nothing to fear. I even ended up re-wiring my whole house.........

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
when my brother started in late 80's for company called cisco...and when he called me in 90 saying they were going public and i should invest...i know now i should have bought a LOT more stock.

when in 2008, when ford didn't take any tarp money, and their stock was 80 cents...i know now i should have bought a LOT more stock.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
when my brother started in late 80's for company called cisco...and when he called me in 90 saying they were going public and i should invest...i know now i should have bought a LOT more stock.

when in 2008, when ford didn't take any tarp money, and their stock was 80 cents...i know now i should have bought a LOT more stock.

Even worse when you turn about 15k into 350k when you're in early 20's and basically lose it all lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Radical Basement Dweller
17,710 Posts
If I knew then what I know now...I would have increased the price of my estimates.

Being new to all this, I was afraid I would miss a job because I was $100 higher than the next guy or...that the job just didn't seem like it was worth a higher price. I worried too much about that.

If I could go back in time, I would have charged more.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wish I would have all the machinery I have now back then.

Make good equipment investments, and do it sooner than later. Really opens up your capabilities.

·
Contractor
6,894 Posts
Don't let the customer set your price. I lost a lot of money in my early years chasing jobs that it seemed no what how low I priced things, the customer would ask for 10-15% off in order to get the job...

GC's were cleaning my pockets... :sad:

21 - 40 of 122 Posts