Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Contributor
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going through the forums, I see a lot of newbies asking for advice and what to expect and it got me thinking:

What have you learned or know now after being in business for awhile that you really wish you would've known when you started?
What one bit of information would you provide to somebody just starting out that you wish somebody would've told you?

Tracy

·
Kowboy
1,856 Posts
You're going to get your a$$ kicked occasionally and there's nothing you can do about it but minimize the frequency and severity. Nothing is more pitiful than someone whining about a lesson they learned in the 1st grade, that life isn't fair, that they've somehow forgotten.

Move on. It's a cost of doing business.

·
Kowboy
1,856 Posts
In the post-it-and-it-comes-true-department, here we go. I just sent the following email to the real estate management company in charge of renting the home for where I just replaced the sink for the previous owner. Since the job was an hour and a half away, I told them to hire a plumber to stop the leak, send me the bill, and I'd pay it if it were my fault:

"Dear Pat:

I just put check # 2066 in the mail to Curry Plumbing for $131.10, despite this not being my fault. I had no control over where the new sink drain went or over where the existing plumbing was. Although I am a licensed Florida Building Contractor, CBC1259693 and sink replacement falls under the category of "maintenance" and does not require a permit or license, moving the stack, the only solution here, does require a licensed plumber. The sink did not leak when I left the premises.

I would very much appreciate Ms. Jones (my client and the home's previous owner) expressing her acknowledging she hired the right guy for this job in an online review at www.homeadvisor.com."

I could have blown this off with a clear conscience, but chose to take a slight whuppin' to make my customer happy and maybe get some nice ju-ju on the interwebby out of the deal.

·
Registered
26,194 Posts
Going through the forums, I see a lot of newbies asking for advice and what to expect and it got me thinking:

What have you learned or know now after being in business for awhile that you really wish you would've known when you started?
What one bit of information would you provide to somebody just starting out that you wish somebody would've told you?

Tracy
Fair game - you have to answer your own question....

·
Contributor
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fair game - you have to answer your own question....
Okay, that is only fair. I have learned a lot here are just a few.

Not everyone is your ideal client don't try to make them be, don't overpromise and under deliver, if you have never done the task tell the customer. Run your biz don't let it run you and finally, while customer service is important don't let them walk all over you draw a line in the sand and don't cross it.

Tracy

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Fugetaboutit
205 Posts
Trust no one.
Kowboy is right, sometimes you are gonna get your butt kicked.
The little old lady, that is an old, repeat customer, may be the one to stab you.

Take care of your knees.

Wish I'd have known about the 2008 thing ahead of time. That one hurt a bit.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Invest in the good tools.

If you come across a sweet deal on something you DO use . Get it even if you already have one because you'll never see that deal again.

But.......

If it ISN'T something you use then let some other guy win. Sure a truckload of day old bread for a dollar is a good deal. But if you only eat toast twice a year. Your just wasting your dollar.

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
Invest in the good tools.

If you come across a sweet deal on something you DO use . Get it even if you already have one because you'll never see that deal again.

But.......

If it ISN'T something you use then let some other guy win. Sure a truckload of day old bread for a dollar is a good deal. But if you only eat toast twice a year. Your just wasting your dollar.
What are you trying to say?...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Radical Basement Dweller
17,766 Posts

Quickbooks.

Reactions: SmallTownGuy
1 - 20 of 122 Posts