Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
manipulator of wood
835 Posts
Fair price, and good work has worked for us for 26 yrs. never ran an ad in a paper or paid for a lead. even through the rough times.
good word of mouth goes a long way.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
thanks! what do you guys think about these online lead providing companies? (renovation experts, yodle, bidclerk etc...)

I would do a search on CT for the numerous threads concerning: angie's list, service magic, yodle, BBB, and all the other "lead generating" services out there that you can pay for. The vast majority of the time............you will be wasting what little money you have.

Your questions lead me to believe that you are starting a business without having a business background, or, doing a lot of research yourself (without asking everyone else what to do).

I don't do any advertising. I have an old website that I haven't touched for years. I have tried a few lead generating companies and have lost money. I have paid a "professional" marketing guy that ripped me off for a lot of money ( I sued him ), and, I have been a member of chambers of commerce, networking group, professional trade groups, etc.............all of which produced sales that wouldn't pay for one dinner at Sizzler.

What has worked for me ( at least ) is: keeping in contract with former clients, relationships with other contractors, having business cards on hand, plus advertising on the vehicles. I have four contractors both in state and out of state that send me a steady stream of business weekly. That is what works for me. And it only took 10 years to get to his point.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
thanks! what do you guys think about these online lead providing companies? (renovation experts, yodle, bidclerk etc...)
Reading through this thread, your questions and the answers you're getting tell me that you are hoping to get a positive review of that magic bullet which brings in the business.

There is a reason you are not being flooded with those responses. Search as cwatbay suggested and you'll learn why. Maybe pick up and idea or two.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Kitchen Cabinets NJ
1,099 Posts
Having your own website and driving traffic to that is probably your best source of quality leads. But you may consider looking into lead sources like ServiceMagic ( Now HomeAdvisor ), Reliable Remodeler, QuinStreet, and others, but you will see for yourself there of both postives, and negatives of using a lead service.

·
Registered
30 Posts
marketing & leads

I have tried using the lead services. Waste of $, especially for a GC. Trades pay less and people are usually ready to go if they only need one trade. If they need a GC then they are much less likely to sign and the leads are much more expensive. Get a web site and promote that.

·
Kitchen Customizer
422 Posts
Doing good work and conducting yourself and buisness in a professionall manner goes without saying- thats a no-brainer!

yodle, yelp, HA, angies list, and everything else like them have their place when they are used the right way for certain service providers, but as for me, I think they are useless and will actually inhibit the growth of a starting out buisness. Read carefully the terms of service and what-not because many of these companies take the rights to all your internet presence and charge you for leads whether they are good or not. Some are "free", but you show up at the bottom of search results unless you pay.

The best thing you can do to generate business is to get involved with your community. Online networking is nice, but people with a lot of money to throw around do not spend a lot of time reading newspapers and surfing the internet. Do some real-life networking. Shake hands, kiss babies, carry groceries and make aquaintences!

Whether it is Church, Chamber of Commerce, local benefits and charities, clubs, groups, whatever it is, get involved. Also, do your spending locally, and get to know your local merchants. People tend to reciprocate buisness. Meet new people and tell everyone what you do and what your goals are.

That (IMO) is why some people don't have to advertise- they know people. For some, this comes naturally, for others it takes a concerted effort. I am with the latter.

..........Also, use every free form of advertisement you can find. Start a facebook fan page, use local online free classifieds (idk if nextech classified are in your area, but thats what I use) twitter, etc.

Put a sign in your OWN yard, go door to door, give incentives for refferals, there are so many things you can do without spending a dime. Get creative.

If you have a little $ to sink into it, conventional advertising (truck lettering, classifieds, newspapers, Website, business cards, Radio, Television, web ads) is something you should definetly add if you want your business to get bigger and reach farther.

Also, tracking your efforts and their lead generation and focusing on the best ones will turn your marketing campaign into a well oiled machine.

That will get you far. Its not one thing that draws business- there is no one stop easy answer or website that will do it all for you. It is a combination of all your resources used in a focused manner that will bring you leads.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts