Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see on alot of homeimprovement shows they like to go with the new plastic decks. They said they are 20% more than a pressure treated deck but you don't have to worry about insect damage or dry rot and they are pretty much maintance free. I think they look pretty awesome when there done. Do you guys like these kinds of decks?

C

·
0 Posts
four lowlife plaintiffs from 1 new jersey county doesnt constitute a bad product, you know this and I know this.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Mike Finley said:
Do a google search for "Trex class action lawsuit"
"...a class of New Jersey consumers will be certified for the same twelve-year period on claims that the sale, marketing and distribution of allegedly defective Trex lumber products (and its predecessor product Timbrex) violated the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act...the Court noted that the damages theory in the case could be supported by evidence that Trex's allegedly false advertising campaign allows them to charge a price of fifteen (15%) percent higher than alternative pressure-treated lumber products. According to the Court, the New Jersey classes "will serve the purpose of a 'test case' but on a much larger scale.
Marc B. Kramer, attorney for the Class, said "We are obviously gratified that the Court certified a nationwide class in this important consumer protection case.""

That's enough to gag a maggott. :mad:

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
...The complaint alleges that the Trex and Timbrex products rot, splinter and degrade as a result of inherent defects in the manufacturing process. The defects are allegedly inconsistent with claims in the marketing materials distributed by the Company. In addition, although the Company claims that the product does not need sealants, after the product exhibits mold, the Company allegedly recommends that consumers apply sealants. Plaintiffs also seek to reform the Company's warranty to, inter alia, include costs of repair and replacement of allegedly defective product, cover costs of sealants and eliminate the exclusive remedy of providing replacement product...

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
747 said:
I see on alot of homeimprovement shows they like to go with the new plastic decks. They said they are 20% more than a pressure treated deck but you don't have to worry about insect damage or dry rot and they are pretty much maintance free. I think they look pretty awesome when there done. Do you guys like these kinds of decks?
I think when it comes to plastic decking what part of the country you are in really effects your opinions of it, because the stuff is greatly effected by geography. On the east coast and pacific northwest there are mold and mildew issues, in the Florida and western parts of the country there are sun issues.

I like the concept of plastic decking, however I just don't think it is quite there yet and mostly it was not even close to being 'there' yet when it first exploded onto the scene and was touted as the wonder product that it hasn't lived up to be.

20% more than PT is an understatement I think. Out here the stuff itself is more expensive than that, and then you have to take into consideration the additional framing expense because of the 12 inch on center requirements because the stuff has no structural integrity, and of course the astronomical railing costs.

My biggest problem with it is when it is sold as maintenance free- as an alternative to wood. In the west it is certainly not maintenance free, it would be truer to call it a 'low maintenance' alternative to wood product. Trex is now selling a stain for Trex - that's kind of strange when you think about it - why would anybody feel the need to stain a maintenance free product? Wouldn't that put it right back into the pack of regular wood in regard to periodic maintenance again?

The wear patterns showing up issue, the fading into the ugliest of colors issue, the too hot to walk with bare feet issue, the flexing issue, the increase in cost issue, the railing expense issue...

It's an option, just like cedar, redwood, PT, Ipe and other products are an option, but I don't see it as a replacement because it is a 'wonder product of the future of deck building'.

Trex has done a fantastic job at marketing itself, the Redwood Association and the Cedar Associations have gotten caught with their pants down on this issue no doubt. But like somebody else said in another post the homeowner often picks a product because of the pretty color without knowing the details of what they are getting themselves into. Trex has done such a great job marketing itself that consumers are picking these plastic and composite decking materials like the pick something for a color.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
The way I like to sell decks isn't so much about the maintenace or low maintenance issue. I tell customers right up front, that this is Colorado, the angle your house is facing the sun is going to have more to do with the maintenance aspect of your deck then the material it is made out of. Further you need to know that maintenance is an intergral part of any deck you decide to have built in Colorado.

Now knowing that you are going to have to maintain it, choose the deck product on the look you want to achieve and your budget. Also since now you know that maintenance will be a part of the process the best thing we can do is show you some products that are very, very user friendly. I would rather give the customer the option of using a product that might not last as long as another product, but one that I know will be easy enough that they won't find the maintenance so hard that they will just give up. There are good products out there that don't require pressure washing or God forbid sanding of the deck before applying a fresh coat. These are the ones I like to use since the chances are much greater that if all the customer has to do is wet the deck and scrub it with Simple Green and some soapy water and then apply a fresh coat that they will most likely be able to do this and really extend the enjoyment of their deck for many more years.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Don't know much about any of this. However I did use ABTCO composite decking from HD on my own place about a year ago. Up front cost was about double that of green wood, and about the same as redwood. Spec 16 inch centers unless laid on a diagonal to framing. Went with it since redwood/cedar seem to be a real high maintainence product and greenwood moves all over the place. So far no movement, warping, splintering. Stuff just lays there and does what it's supposed to do. Ask again in 5 years, and I hope the report is the same, but who knows??? :rolleyes:
JVC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts