Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching bob vilas home again before leaving this morning. He was in a new subdivision. All the homes were energy star rated. Which means i guess they kick them up a notch for energy efficency. I have never heard of this. Would a person have to tell there gc during new construction they wanted to be energy star rated. Also do you think a gas or electric company might give some type of rebate if your new home is energy star rated. What is the story with this? DO TELL! Imput please. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
www.energystar.gov

They have "packages" for every climate that outline insulation requirements, minimum HVAC efficiency, window SF as a % of floor area, and a host of other requirements. The house has to be "rated" or tested by an independent agent for air exchanges per hour and air loss through ductwork. So, yes, you would have to let the builder know that you want an Energystar home because it affects the construction methods and quality from the ground up. And, yes, the utility companies usually offer rebates for Energystar homes (plus they use less energy to begin with).

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts