Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been here since day one. And I originally was intending to find sites where I can help people with flooring issues. This site turned out to help me more than anything.
When I started with this site, I was doing o.k. and was getting better at what I do. I was making a good living and enjoying it. But as I continued to use this site, I started getting invaluable info on making more money.
Weather it be about selling better quality and high self esteem, to making better margins, to help from making mistakes, or to help seperate myself from the competition, this site has given me the info to excel faster and easier. I am now more successful than I planned at this time, and things do not seem to be slowing down any time in the near future, and I feel great! :cheesygri
I wanted to take the time to let people know how fantastic this site can be if they actually open their minds and ask questions. Congrats Nate, and thank you for all your hard work. I owe you one :Thumbs:

I also wanted to find out from other members why they decided to sign up with this site, and what they have gotten from it, and what they feel others could benifit from it.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
A) A place to vent my frustrations.
B) A place to stand on a soap box and preach.
C) An outsiders perspective because all too often I am trapped within my circle of local contractor's and local way of thinking.
D) Comradare with other contractors who "get it".

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm an education junkie and particularly enjoy the exchange of ideas and methology. In todays world, it is difficult to keep up with all of the advances in materials, tools, techniques, etc., this site condenses much of that material into useful, easy to digest info., it also allows access to fields in which one may be ignorant or relevently so.

I believe that I have read nearly every post on this site and in doing so have learned a great deal about other peoples businesses and jobs. I would like to think that it has made me better educated and, as such, more tolerant when the spam hits the fan due to others problems.

As one of the few here with retirement in the crosshairs, I enjoy helping others up the rungs to success. I mostly figured everything out the hard way, all of the reading in the world will not prepare you for your particular situation as I found out. If I can help a young person avoid a pitfall or advance at a more rapid rate in their choice of business, there is a certain satisfaction in that.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Personally, I could go on and on with all of the examples of the help and assistance I've received here - even things totally unrelated to construction! I must say that I have appreciated interacting with virtually everyone here, even those whose opinions I haven't completely agreed with. The exchange of ideas and opinions with such a diverse, talented and experienced group of people has been invaluable with me running my business full time in 2005.

Also, even though we come from such different areas of the globe, the mistakes and success stories are ones that are universal in the business world we all make our living in. I can't thank all of you enough, especially you Nathan!

My only regret is that we don't all live closer to each other so we could share a few pints every now and again. Then again if we lived closer we'd all be fighting over customers - they'd be the best serviced customers in the world though!

Cheers to you all!

·
Finish Carpentry
396 Posts
Grumpy and teetorbilt sums it up for me, It's nice to have someplace to go to vent and get help, and also to help others.
Everyone is a friend here :cheesygri

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Our business is 100% more effective and succesful because of this site, everytime I log on. The amount of selfless information shared by the members of this site is invaluable to a small, new business like ours. I like to think I contribute a little here and there as well, which is satisfying in its own way.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Tons of stuff....I learn something new EVERY day here. Like Humble said, a new, small business like ours can use all the help we can get. The help we get here is NOT something easily available by talking to other local contractors in the same trade. Often, they view you as nothing more than competition, and many are un-willing to help. However, here, the treatment is so much better. People actually open up, and will share hard fought secrets with relative newbies in business. I also learn about all the other trades, and that helps with my own home improvements, heh! Add to that everything said before me..... :Thumbs:

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I have gotten much out of this site. Like the two Humble and AA I am a new business owner as well. Year and a half. I came here looking for help on bidding in the masonry field. I didnt get much of that but I got alot of useful help on business practice and ettiquette(sp?). Alot of the info on here is invaluable and I'd like to thank all the mods and Nathan who take the time to keep everything great around here. I cant tell you how nice it is to be able to come on here and not worry about being spammed with useless advertisements.

Keep up the great work!!!! :Thumbs:

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Yeah for all of the above
New business owner, looking for ways to improve
I consider this site an invaluable resource for information
It certainly has helped me already

It's fun too :cheesygri

·
Registered
114 Posts
this is my absolute favorite place to come after a hard day. i get all kinds of info on a wide range of subjects and am a better contractor for it. no matter how good or bad things are, someone here is listening and can relate. all that and it's free too! it's something like a large extended family. everyone talks,everyone listens, and everyone helps if they can. i'll agree with the sentiments of deck etc., i'd like a pint with ya'll too. but since i can't,i'll just raise the one I'M drinking to you all, and say thanks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Roger that!

Pass me another Yuengling please!

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You ARE the entertainment Shrunk :)

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Bob, you really let me down on that reply, and after I went to all of the trouble to scroll down the page. LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts