Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
People not being able to say no.

Plenty of accidents happened because the boss threatened to fire someone if they didn't get their ass down in that crawlspace right this second and quit their complaining about how unsafe it is.

·
Drywall Slave
9,427 Posts
I'm guilty of the self assurance ..It's got me a few times ! Nothing major tho.

The worst injury on the job for me ..In the 30+ years I've been doing stupid chit ! Was a bucket fall in a stairwell . I cracked a rib .

I was three steps from the basement floor standing on an empty sanding a bead ,and the bucket decided to leave me!

·
Drywall Slave
9,427 Posts
Drywall

I have had 2 trips to the emergency room from a job site. Both times I was hanging board.
Let me guess on the first trip !!! your thumb was on the T-Square ?

·
Drywall Slave
9,427 Posts
I'm sure you guys have seen, doing tear outs . How the drywall hangers marked the ceiling joist on the top plates with the hatchet .
My Old man made us stop doing this around 1992 or 93.

My Brother was marking the trusses on a three story store front building.
The building had a elevator shaft that wasn't blocked off .. I wasn't there that day, I had played hookie for some unhealthy reason I'm sure!

My Uncle said when he was walking up the third floor,When He got to the top step and saw what was going to happen a split second before my Brother whacked that last mark and stepped off the ledge into the shaft . He said he ran down the steps and could see my brother falling at the second floor and taking every piece of insulation he could grab with him !!!

My Brother said ..The second he stepped off ...His first thought was ..Insulation! Insulation !Insulation!! It's gonna break my fall!!!

He broke his leg in two places .

I'm still guilty of marking joist with my hatchet . I just don't do It around the old man. :no:

·
Super Moderator
10,453 Posts
I'm sure you guys have seen, doing tear outs . How the drywall hangers marked the ceiling joist on the top plates with the hatchet .
My Old man made us stop doing this around 1992 or 93.

My Brother was marking the trusses on a three story store front building.
The building had a elevator shaft that wasn't blocked off .. I wasn't there that day, I had played hookie for some unhealthy reason I'm sure!

My Uncle said when he was walking up the third floor,When He got to the top step and saw what was going to happen a split second before my Brother whacked that last mark and stepped off the ledge into the shaft . He said he ran down the steps and could see my brother falling at the second floor and taking every piece of insulation he could grab with him !!!

My Brother said ..The second he stepped off ...His first thought was ..Insulation! Insulation !Insulation!! It's gonna break my fall!!!

He broke his leg in two places .

I'm still guilty of marking joist with my hatchet . I just don't do It around the old man. :no:
When I took my dive, those around me said that in mid air, I tried to lunge towards an outside corner that was at least 10 feet away. I can remember being in the air and thinking about trying to grab something to slow my fall. It is amazing how your mind can slow down events and think through a situation. Of course, my lunging led me to go head over heels and crash my cranium into the floor. So much for the amazing mind.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
People not being able to say no.

Plenty of accidents happened because the boss threatened to fire someone if they didn't get their ass down in that crawlspace right this second and quit their complaining about how unsafe it is.
Can not name the names. At one job, and very strong firm I spot that supervisor is quite not capable as safety is in concern. I simply refused to do some stuff at that project. Was fired soon, and someone else get hurt badly (it is mild word what happen to guy) at that project.
Two years after that we build townhouse roof and we didn't set enough of braces. Ten times longer roof require 30 time more bracing not 10 times, it is why wee see at news long roofs frame collapse all time. Any way we was half way with roof and strong wind come with rain and 1/3 of frame collapse. Supervisor yield at me to go up with 3 best guys and reinforce braces. I just say no for 1m bucks. 3 minutes after with little more wind entire roof collapse. Trusses was like 30 yards long and 15 yards tall. Ones between units had double sheetrock at them.
I do not say that I'm smart, bad things can happen to me to. But point is do not believe to supervisors and no one else like they know everything. If you do not believe it is safe do not do even you get fired.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
As the old saying goes "you will never hit the moon shooting at a street light.:thumbsup:
Or another version... "shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll be among the stars"... :thumbsup:

When you're trading safety because of lack of money, I don't know of a better indicator that you aren't charging enough to be in business or that you need to really look at your business...

There's a difference in operating out of naivete (not knowing) and knowing but not working towards fixing it and charging enough to be able to...

·
Registered
965 Posts
Can not name the names. At one job, and very strong firm I spot that supervisor is quite not capable as safety is in concern. I simply refused to do some stuff at that project. Was fired soon, and someone else get hurt badly (it is mild word what happen to guy) at that project.
Two years after that we build townhouse roof and we didn't set enough of braces. Ten times longer roof require 30 time more bracing not 10 times, it is why wee see at news long roofs frame collapse all time. Any way we was half way with roof and strong wind come with rain and 1/3 of frame collapse. Supervisor yield at me to go up with 3 best guys and reinforce braces. I just say no for 1m bucks. 3 minutes after with little more wind entire roof collapse. Trusses was like 30 yards long and 15 yards tall. Ones between units had double sheetrock at them.
I do not say that I'm smart, bad things can happen to me to. But point is do not believe to supervisors and no one else like they know everything. If you do not believe it is safe do not do even you get fired.
I think everyone has that story, it got bad enough that there's laws in place saying that if an employee refuses to do something because they feel it's dangerous they legally can't be punished.

Wish I would have known about it earlier in life.

·
Kowboy
1,854 Posts
"Chit happens."

That's a fine bumper sticker, but used too often as excusing poor construction practice.

"Chit happens" is when a comet falls out of the sky and incinerates you on the site, nothing less.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Insufficient training. Yiu gotta drill it into your crew.

The guys who work for me roll their eyes a lot. It usually isnt long until I catch them crossing their arms at the miter saw or putting their fingers right next to the tip of a nail gun.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
We work in an industry where we most always make things happen in the face of challenges. It can be weather, heights, less then ideal crew size or equipment. It's actually surprises me how few accidents there are.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know some others mentioned fatigue but I wanted to really hammer that one home.

Especially on really hot summer days, fatigue can set in quickly and unexpectedly. Need to make sure to stay hydrated and take frequent breaks if you're in an outdoor job.

·
test
3,321 Posts
Listening to anyone but my self I usually get injured.
It's a big part of why I'm self-employed.
Now I set the standard for my safety, the crew and the homeowners, when employed by others I didn't have that. Seems like a lot of company's safety is the last thing they care about :no: ...

41 - 60 of 63 Posts