Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
846 Posts
The work. Making something beautiful, that adds value to the home, and has curb appeal. Making the client see that (the estimate) is the hard part. Once it's done and they're happy with the money they've spent it's all good.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,692 Posts
Gawd how I hate estimating.

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
The work is more enjoyable, but the estimate is more exciting!
I always say, the job usually makes or loses money before it even begins.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
The work by a mile.I hate the estimating and all the paper work.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
I had a customer ask me a similar question.

She asked "You guys do everything, what do you like doing best?" I responded "climaxing".

5 years later she called me for more work and said her husband still couldn't get over my response.

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
Give me the physical labor. I hate paper work.

Reactions: nEighter

·
Registered
39 Posts
Residential estimates are ok esp when you get to meet and talk with the customer. Commercial or blue book quote i would just assume stick a pen in my eye.:rolleyes:

·
Dufus Extrodinaire
159 Posts
I actually like doing the estimating part of it. Doing it for so long that I find it fairly easy even on large jobs. If I have troubles with a product or price for it, I do depend on my suppliers to come up with the detail quickly.

Best part is getting the job done on budget and have a smiling client with cheque in hand for me.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I enjoy the work, but absolutely hate the estimating. The worst is giving the quote to someone you know is strictly a price kinda guy, after some hack has been there. Then you get the you gotta be chitten me this other guy is half the price!! Wouldn't do you any good to explain to them that they were only doing half the work:no:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts