Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
12,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just popped into my head.

I don't do refinishing work, so I was wondering what you guys do with the opening if someone asks you to refinish their front door.
You've gotta have the door in your shop or at least off the hinges for a decent chunk of time. Do you buy a cheap slab door and use it as a temp? Are people generally understanding of that cost?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I stripped and refinished some stained wood church doors. I took them off the hinges, worked with it on saw horses daily, then returned the door to the hinges at the end of the day.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
Caslon said:
I stripped and refinished some stained wood church doors. I took them off the hinges, worked with it on saw horses daily, then returned the door to the hinges at the end of the day.
That's what I've done. It would be a pain and time consuming to get a temp door to fit exactly. I think once I put osb over a front door opening overnight so I could work on a door.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I usually put up a sheet of plywood and use 4 pieces of 2x4 (2 on the inside & 2 on the outside. I put 2 carriage bolts thru each board & bolt on the inside. (This is assuming the customer has alternate doors to use....)

·
Punching above his weight
12,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done the 2x4 carriage bolt solution before, as you said, there was another door to use.

I went to go look at an office they wanted painted and on my way out I thought, "What if they wanted the door refinished?"
Spent the rest of the ride home trying to think of what I'd do since it was a one entrance office.
Didn't think of the weather stripping removal/close solution. Makes good sense.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,166 Posts
A lot of these are required egress. Cheap slab or 3/4" ply (or Advantek) with extra beef for hinges, lock sets, stiffening.

Fitting to an existing frame is usually pretty fast, fitting hinges and lock sets takes the usual amount of time, or a little longer. Advantek doesn't usually warp as much as ply does, so I prefer it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Do the detail work in place, take it down and hang a drop cloth in the opening (some big nails into the channel where the weather stripping goes works grest) for the flat sanding with the RO. Always have it back up by quitting time.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Over time, we've accumulated a collection of "temp doors" to use when we have to remove the door for any length of time. Door and window shops, as well as building supply places, often have some that are dinged/blems or others that they yanked when they've done replacements. Those probably take care of 95% of the doors that we do. Once in a while, we get an oddball, like a 3-8 door and end up using a sheet of ply, edged with some 1x and screwed into the strike and the gains on the jamb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts