Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do a fair amount of tile work and I guess I’ve been lucky to not have too many situations like this. I’m on the tile stage of a bathroom with a lot of detail. Requires a wet saw set up for the project.
No space to set it up in the house and the bathroom itself is too small to set up a big wet saw for large format tile cuts. Wet saw is a must on this one because some cut edges will be exposed and a snap cutter or grinder won’t do.
I’m set up in their garage but it’s tight space. Lots of stuff in there. I’ve carved out a footprint for my saw, mixer, materials etc. I have a small space heater but it’s not doing anything. The garage is not insulated. I purchased a propane heater and it’s been great. Costs about $25/day in refills. And I have a water bucket heater for the pump water so it’s not freezing cold either.
It all seems like a lot but if they didn’t have the garage, what would those of you in the North do? It would take up a small bedroom to have room for a wet saw, mixing buckets etc. And then there’s the overspray and potential water splashing. You’d need to set up a Dexter style kill room.
What do you tile people do in these situations?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 4in handheld wet circular saw that i feed with a garden pump sprayer, i have set that over a rubbermaid container lid, has about a two inch lip, and used it that way.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Tiling in cold weather sucks. Getting ready to do a 2nd floor bathroom I might have a room down the hall for my snapper. If I need a wet saw it's either a garage or basement both a long walk, garage I'll bring my big heater. I'll have to use my 10" Dewalt my 7" MK will be too small. Either way I put down plastic and a drop over that my Dewalt has pretty decent water management.

If I don't have an enclosed area than I'm not doing it this time of year.

Why can't you use a snapper or grinder on exposed edges?

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
2,557 Posts
I apprenticed with both my father and my brother for a number of years. Bucket heater and the saw outside is what I did. New England winters.

Neither of them had a tent with a heater as @micahmye said but that's the way I would do it today if I didn't have a trailer to work in. Some guys have sweet trailer rigs with tile saw ready to go.

If you order a trailer from the manufacturer, you can spec more standing room and have them insulate the walls, floors, and ceiling. Rig up a propane heater and some electrical conduit, tubs/pumps and stuff and you can work pretty comfortably.

Cutting tile in the winter sucks. It's physically not very strenuous unless you're stockpiling material at the same time, and you're wet all day long. Might as well dress like a fisherman.

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
We’ve had on and off freezing weather and I’m lucky to use the snap cutter on the bathroom I’m doing right now, I did a marble tile job bathroom shower and I put the wet saw in the hallway, I set up plastic and used tarps on the floor with plastic //RAM board underneath, worked out perfect !
Wood Tap Composite material Rectangle Flooring

·
Windwash
630 Posts
If it's your customer and not a sub situation you could let them make the decision....$4500 if you can take over 2nd floor extra bedroom or $5000 if you if you run up and down the stairs and cut in front yard.

Wherever we set up the wet saw I have a 12x12' piece of EPDM rubber roofing on the floor and turned up the wall behind the saw. We then hang painters poly on the wall overlapping the rubber.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've done it in the driveway, or yard. Not bad yesterday. The day before I didn't bother, single degree days not really worth it.

Not that I haven't, I had one where I would pull the pump and bucket and or change the water so it wouldn't freeze. No heater, bring the bucket in between cuts...

Use rubber gloves when doing multiple cuts, and try to pick up the tiles before they're stuck to the table. .

I got a new snap cutter last month, 24", it's been great!!! But can't make all the cuts with it. Alot faster and quite than the wet saw.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ez up tent with sides, aquarium heater, mr buddy or bigger. I have also used a basement to cut in when available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've done it in the driveway, or yard. Not bad yesterday. The day before I didn't bother, single degree days not really worth it.

Not that I haven't, I had one where I would pull the pump and bucket and or change the water so it wouldn't freeze. No heater, bring the bucket in between cuts...

Use rubber gloves when doing multiple cuts, and try to pick up the tiles before they're stuck to the table. .

I got a new snap cutter last month, 24", it's been great!!! But can't make all the cuts with it. Alot faster and quite than the wet saw.
Might have to get a snap cutter for next time. Almost done now lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
We’ve had on and off freezing weather and I’m lucky to use the snap cutter on the bathroom I’m doing right now, I did a marble tile job bathroom shower and I put the wet saw in the hallway, I set up plastic and used tarps on the floor with plastic //RAM board underneath, worked out perfect ! View attachment 521687
Smart! I mean you gotta do what you gotta do.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it's your customer and not a sub situation you could let them make the decision....$4500 if you can take over 2nd floor extra bedroom or $5000 if you if you run up and down the stairs and cut in front yard.

Wherever we set up the wet saw I have a 12x12' piece of EPDM rubber roofing on the floor and turned up the wall behind the saw. We then hang painters poly on the wall overlapping the rubber.
The rubber for the floor is a great idea. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts