Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the other thread, I just had to start this.

Writing this knowing that their are few good GC's, very few :whistling

A)First of all, a GC that honers a contract,
I could give a **** if your client is out of town, or your kid has his/hers Birthday that day, or if your wife is on the rag. You want your profit on my dime, you have to pay.

Example #1. On one job, My contract was half way thru bricking a house, half the money. The GC started complaining how he was behind, because of a death in the family, his daughter was in rehab, etc..
I said, I will give you 10 days more with a dated check in my hands now.
He said no way That I will finish the whole job and then i will be paid half.

I said thank you, After work I went to the home owner and said if I dont get no money, I wont finish the job, and he paid me.
was I a dick?

B) second of all, A GC that does his part of said contract.
I want to see my work area free of anything that could hinder me working and is stated on my contract,
I dont want to clean up after the plumber/electrician/carpenters etc..

Example #2. after being hounded from a GC because they were ready earlier, I get to the job site and there is trash everywhere in the back of the house, and they started digging on the side of the house, I go, WTF,
you *******,( I generally speak my mind).
He says, it wont take ya that long to set aside some of the trash ang start in the back.
I tell him for $750.00 extra I will clean up my work area.
he tells me if I want to do the job, I will clean the area for nothing.
I say, GoFukYourself.
and left.

C) A GC that actually knows what the **** they are doing.
I dont need anyone that has never held a trowel, or swung a hammer, giving me advice on how they think i should do the job.
Because there father retired and they took over the business, doesn't mean they inherited his knowledge.
instead of snorting coke in the trailer, they should of been working next to there dad BEFORE he retired.

Reactions: FlyFishRI

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boy Bruno, you have worked for some real trash!
can ya tell.
Not only me, my family in MI. got screw out of 60k from various GC's and builders when the **** went down a few yrs.ago,
from what I've seen, many a great subs went belly up by not getting paid.

·
Super Moderator
10,709 Posts
In 20 years, I have only worked for 3 dirt bags. I did get my money each time though. In each of those times, we were slow and our standards were dropped a little to secure some work. $10k was always my limit when dealing with these guys. If I wasn't paid up at that point, we walked. One time we left for two months during a brutal winter when the first draw on a large home didn't come through on time.

Nowadays, I can spot the trouble before we even take the job. I would rather my guys collect unemployment than to go into a job where the money may be sketchy. By setting my limit at 10k, I know that it wont ruin me if I have to wait it out. I have never approached a homeowner insisting that they pay. When we leave the job, they know what is going on. Either that, or they will be notified by certified mail when the lien is filed.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, when you're the best subcontractor on the planet it's hard for any GC to meet your expectations.....
Thanks, That was well deserved

This forum has the best of the best when it comes to builders and GC's.

All you's do is write how serious and respected and loved and honest and friendly and, ahh fuk-it.

I have my problems and not every job comes as expected.
But I do my best

All I know is never trust anyone that says "trust me"

or, "dont worry about the money".

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In 20 years, I have only worked for 3 dirt bags. I did get my money each time though.
I have had the fortune to have found 6 GC's in the last 5 yrs. recently
Who have tried to screw me over.
twice in these yrs. i went to court, and won.
I am currently owed 8 g's from a Builder who went under not to pay us subs(electricians/masons/ plumbers/ carpenters) that owed close to 100k for everybody.
he went bankrupt and reopened in his wifes name(that SOB).
a few of his new subs called me askin about him, I told them the truth
and he threatened to sue me, aint this a *****. I slandered his wifes company.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have had the fortune to have found 6 GC's in the last 5 yrs. recently
Who have tried to screw me over.
twice in these yrs. i went to court, and won.
I am currently owed 8 g's from a Builder who went under not to pay us subs(electricians/masons/ plumbers/ carpenters) that owed close to 100k for everybody.
he went bankrupt and reopened in his wifes name(that SOB).
a few of his new subs called me askin about him, I told them the truth
and he threatened to sue me, aint this a *****. I slandered his wifes company.
i ve seen this happen . a gc in my area owed a lot off money to other subs .one of them $40 k . He bankrupted and open in a different name.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
It's strange how the subs that charge a little of nothin always complain about getting screwed out of their money.. I hate hearing the horror stories from subs about the jobs I turn down ,But I guess that's why I turned them down...I knew better!

Sometimes all I need Is 5 minutes on the phone.:whistling

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Thanks, That was well deserved

This forum has the best of the best when it comes to builders and GC's.

All you's do is write how serious and respected and loved and honest and friendly and, ahh fuk-it.

I have my problems and not every job comes as expected.
But I do my best

All I know is never trust anyone that says "trust me"

or, "dont worry about the money".
You know what they say about the company you keep.... I've never been screwed over by a homeowner and a subcontractor has never been screwed over by me. Funny how certain types attract other certain types, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
In no particular order:

1. The GC has a long established business IN OUR AREA.
2. They actually seem to know how to run a project.
3. I am very fair BUT also particular about payment schedules (and contracts & plans) so they must adhere to that.
4. The customer, past customers (if I can find any), and/or past subs are happy working for them.

We really don't sub much anymore. :laughing:

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know what they say about the company you keep.... I've never been screwed over by a homeowner and a subcontractor has never been screwed over by me. Funny how certain types attract other certain types, isn't it?
you sure like walking in others shoes,

we work and have worked in 8 Countries,
I accept all work, we are asked to work in other cities/countries alot. You?

We did 3 yrs. with GC's and builders we never knew, or will probably never work for again.

I have been asked to go abroad again, some where in Ukraine for 5 month (34000sq, ft of a granite for a bank)
this Summer.
and am contemplating doing mosaics for Mapie in Cali.

I guess your right, I got the clients i deserve.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
After reading the other thread, I just had to start this.

Writing this knowing that their are few good GC's, very few :whistling

A)First of all, a GC that honers a contract,
I could give a **** if your client is out of town, or your kid has his/hers Birthday that day, or if your wife is on the rag. You want your profit on my dime, you have to pay.

Example #1. On one job, My contract was half way thru bricking a house, half the money. The GC started complaining how he was behind, because of a death in the family, his daughter was in rehab, etc..
I said, I will give you 10 days more with a dated check in my hands now.
He said no way That I will finish the whole job and then i will be paid half.

I said thank you, After work I went to the home owner and said if I dont get no money, I wont finish the job, and he paid me.
was I a dick? Yes, but this instance isn't the cause.

B) second of all, A GC that does his part of said contract.
I want to see my work area free of anything that could hinder me working and is stated on my contract,
I dont want to clean up after the plumber/electrician/carpenters etc..

Example #2. after being hounded from a GC because they were ready earlier, I get to the job site and there is trash everywhere in the back of the house, and they started digging on the side of the house, I go, WTF,
you *******,( I generally speak my mind).No. I think that everyone here is shocked to hear that.
He says, it wont take ya that long to set aside some of the trash ang start in the back.
I tell him for $750.00 extra I will clean up my work area.
he tells me if I want to do the job, I will clean the area for nothing.
I say, Go****Yourself.
and left.

C) A GC that actually knows what the **** they are doing.
I dont need anyone that has never held a trowel, or swung a hammer, giving me advice on how they think i should do the job.
Because there father retired and they took over the business, doesn't mean they inherited his knowledge.
instead of snorting coke in the trailer, they should of been working next to there dad BEFORE he retired.
All jabs aside, I would agree that there are a lot of bad GC's in the world, but there are just as many or more bad subs. Unfortunately we live in a fallen world and there is no such thing as perfection. Everyone makes mistakes and we all end up picking up after one another at one time. It just shouldn't be the norm.

If I worked for a good GC and was asked to work around some trash once in a blue moon, I would do it. But I wouldn't do it every job without compensation.

If he was having a hard time with finances, I would want to treat him the way I would want to be treated. I would hope that I would be paid on time, but would give him a few weeks to catch up. I have paid guys in advance or given a deposit for a job a head of schedule, so I would hope that they would understand if I was a little short.

With that said, I would take out a personal loan or sell something personal to pay my guys. I have made agreements and I need to live up to them.

I also agree that unless you know what you are doing you shouldn't be telling there's how to do it. I don't agree that I have to have a lot of experience in doing something to correct a mistake or ensure that what they are doing is going to represent my good name, because in the end, it's on me as the GC to stand behind your work.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Keep in mind, it's the subs working for the bad GC's and the suppliers giving away their materials to them that keeps the bad GC's in business.

How does a competent and honest GC compete against free subs, free materials?

The problem here is those who work for the bad GC's, they are the ones putting the good GC's out of business.

So yes, you got screwed by a few bad GC's, in doing so you helped screw the good GC's out of that project. Don't expect me to feel sorry for you.

Reactions: Tom Struble

·
Registered
7,365 Posts

We did 3 yrs. with GC's and builders we never knew, or will probably never work for again.

I have been asked to go abroad again, some where in Ukraine for 5 month (34000sq, ft of a granite for a bank)
this Summer.

I don't care to walk in anyone else's shoes. I'm not the one who goes around bashing others in 90% of my posts either.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts

this Summer.

Cause your cheap?

·
Smarter than the brick...
298 Posts

this Summer.

Burnt all your bridges in your hometown huh? I kid, i kid :laughing:

Mostly I look for builders that will respect me and my abilities

1 - 20 of 51 Posts