Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Depends on what caliber HO you are dealing with and the type and location of the project.

Some will only deal with a guy who is known by his reputation and/or references or by referral.

Some want quality above all and then you get a blend going down from there.

·
Super Moderator
28,886 Posts
The clients I want should look for a track record of quality, integrity and reliability.

Only way for ME to achieve reaching these clients is through WOM.

Professionalism goes a long way , imo.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Confidence. Any contractor who is calm and comfortable with discussing what he does, how he does it and is not afraid of you shopping his bid elsewhere, that makes for a trait that home owners look for.

·
Super Moderator
28,886 Posts
Confidence. Any contractor who is calm and comfortable with discussing what he does, how he does it and is not afraid of you shopping his bid elsewhere, that makes for a trait that home owners look for.
Confidence is key. :thumbsup:

I don't worry about people shopping my bid, NOW, because 8 months ago I started using a professional services agreement and charge for my bid and scope if it is a decent size job. 100K + or so. I'll keep that going as long as I can.

Before, I always asked who the other bidders were. I'm not afraid of anything. :no: Just not wasting my time. I'm busy.

If it slows down, I may not be able to charge for the bid. But i will continue to read the client and ask who the other bidders are. Fair question.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jaws said:
Confidence is key. :thumbsup: I don't worry about people shopping my bid, NOW, because 8 months ago I started using a professional services agreement and charge for my bid and scope if it is a decent size job. 100K + or so. I'll keep that going as long as I can. Before, I always asked who the other bidders were. I'm not afraid of aanything. :no: Just not wasting my time. I'm busy.
That is something I wish I could ask but I think people find it rude and unprofessional.

I know of ten or so companies where if the homeowner has them out before or after, it's at least an equal competition.

·
Super Moderator
28,886 Posts
That is something I wish I could ask but I think people find it rude and unprofessional.

I know of ten or so companies where if the homeowner has them out before or after, it's at least an equal competition.
It's not unprofessional. This is an unlicensed, Un regulated state. NOT interested in bidding against a DB who doesn't have insurance and bids to make 200 bucks a day. :no:

I'm also not interested in bidding against a lot builders here who are known to use crappy subs and beat them down on cost, and bid an occupied addition like a new house. :no:

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jaws said:
It's not unprofessional. This is an unlicensed, Un regulated state. NOT interested in bidding against a DB who doesn't have insurance and bids to make 200 bucks a day. :no: I'm also not interested in bidding against a lot builders here who are known to use crappy subs and beat them down on cost, and bid an occupied addition like a new house. :no:
I get it. I know how people are here though. Very rarely can I get anyone to tell me who else they had out or talked to or their budget.

·
Super Moderator
28,886 Posts
I get it. I know how people are here though. Very rarely can I get anyone to tell me who else they had out or talked to or their budget.
I agree there, it's 50/50 on getting answers. Just makes it easier to read if they are a buyer or a shopper.

I don't mind bidding against good contractor's. Don't even mind bidding against a couple bad ones if their is atleast one other good one in the mix.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I agree there, it's 50/50 on getting answers. Just makes it easier to read if they are a buyer or a shopper.

I don't mind bidding against good contractor's. Don't even mind bidding against a couple bad ones if their is atleast one other good one in the mix.
I went this route about a year ago and have been freed! It is so liberating not being afraid to ask anything. I will ask for budget, who else is bidding. I will give them copies of my insurance and w/c right there on the spot and tell them that any contractor they consider should be ready and able to hand them a copy at a moments notice.

I will also tell them up front my schedule and ask for their timeline. I am not afraid to lose someone due to any of the above. If I lost them, it was for the better. Better pay, better relationship, smoother projects...I love the customers I get now. And I agree, it's a 50/50 rate on answers, but I can usually get enough info out of the other 50% to make a good determination on where they are at with my questions.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Price price price!
i believe price is more of a function of demographics. certain market areas and ethnicity groups will be far more price sensitive than others. it also seems that the more they view pricing as a primary factor, the more they view our trades as just a commodity, which is far from reality.

on the flip side, ive also seen HOs who will squeeze every single penny out of you, get you to throw in the kitchen sink, want TOP quality AND demand the lowest price.

for me personally, i never negotiate on labor if I am the buyer. I want the person working for me to feel that he/she is working for their asking px, which is fair to them. that way, theyll be happy to show up everyday and do a great job.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
There is no most looked for quality. It's the whole package. Price, reputation, confidence, communication. That last one has been big for me. When I ask why they chose me it's because I responded best. Sometimes we'll have 30 emails back and forth and a design finished before the next guy calls back. The more I can communicate the better I can prove I'm full of knowledge.

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
I think no matter what many customers say, price is all they care about.

Example. I had a customer call me to their house to get a quote on a replacement of a heater. He told me what I offered was great but wanted a longer warranty. I offered to extend it one extra year. That's what he wanted he said. Said he loved the fact that I came out and actually talked to him in person and felt comfortable dealing with me. I gave him the cost and he said that sounded good. He would call me later to set up an install date. He called me about an hour later and said he called another company and they told him over the phone a price of $200 less than mine and wanted to see if I would meet that price. I asked if they offered a longer warranty, no. I asked if they came out to look at the job, no just quoted on the phone.

So in the end I told him I would not lower my price and that I thought he wanted a longer warranty. He says "well I could live with the standard warranty for the lower price." I told him to have a nice day and that my price was firm.

So in the end, no matter what many of them tell you, price is the main factor.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts