Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

This is my first post on contractortalk and I'm excited to be a part of the community. I work in and around the san francisco bay area for a lot of my projects. However, I recently went on hiatus and was approached by a friend that was intrigued by the contracting business space. We got to talking and discussed a lot of the issues with bringing the contracting marketplace into the world of mobile applications.

I've looked through basic things like handybook and friendtrusted that seem to be catered to the customer more than the contractor and friendtrusted even charges the contractor instead of splitting costs with the customer or charging the customer altogether.

This led me to think about what kind of features contractors would prefer to have in a free app where they are open to bidding on jobs from customers in their area. In an ideal world, what kind of information and functionality would you want to see a mobile app for free demand gen purposes that you aren't getting already? More so for additional side revenue than to take over your day to day business. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Joey

·
Registered
3 Posts
Friendtrusted is a complete waste of time, they call me randomly for jobs, even though I repeatedly told them to never contact me...

Anyway, I didn't really look into their app, but for me I think the most important feature would be to have actual details so I can make real estimates. Some people just say I need 5 windows, but fail to mention one is a bay window and the other is a sliding glass door for their backyard...

Basically, anything to make my life easier with estimates will be good.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would think the problem with such an app is that it would be a magnet for tire kickers.

If the app provided a way to manage expectations and even better, guide them into figuring out what they want instead of me standing there listening to the three thousand possibilities they're considering. If they had to input a detailed scope, it would probably help both parties.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, plus I'm sure only certain types of jobs can handle estimates or bids, from the few details a user would give. There has to be a way to narrow down what someone wants to do...

I bet people will be so basic in what they say, like I want a window, or I want a door, without any details....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.