Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Multi-tradesman defender
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you became a contractor, or before you got into your current trade, what did you do?

I have worked contruction since 1989, off and on. In between, I owned an auto repair shop, a magazine, a shed and garage building business, and currently, a handyman service business.

·
Zimmermann
328 Posts
carpentry was some what of a birthright for me seeing Dad and all his brothers were carpenters.

always worked in and out of the field but took time to:
work in kitchens
go to art school / BFA
work at bar
sell drugs
heroin addiction
sobriety
owning my own custom carpentry business

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
IT manager, software developer, computer sales.

I really much prefer driving around in my van, blasting the rock'n'roll and doing a few appointments per day installing things in peoples houses to make them happy. And there's no office politics to deal with!

·
Sean
5,532 Posts
IT manager, software developer, computer sales.

I really much prefer driving around in my van, blasting the rock'n'roll and doing a few appointments per day installing things in peoples houses to make them happy. And there's no office politics to deal with!
Amen - IT Security, Server & Storage God - (man was that guy pissed when he called me that :laughing:)

·
Registered
758 Posts
nothing.

when I was younger I fought against it as much as I could but there was no saying no.

at age fourteen I had a shovel in my hand and got a paycheck on friday.

who could say no to that.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Chased skirt and partied as much as possible.

Didn't have a worry in the world, free on the face of the planet, answered to nobody.

Some things never change:rolleyes:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was a machinist in the aerospace industry for almost 20 yrs. Then worked a few years as a machinist for an acoustic spray machine co, no challenge whatsoever, so a buddy hired me as a repair guy for his families termite business. Did that for about 5 yrs and then my buddy ran the business into the ground, after that I went off on my own and haven't looked back.

·
Tech Geek
2,654 Posts
Graduated high school, went to a tech school for automotive technology full time during the day 8am-2pm and worked as a laborer's helper in a truss manufacturing plant at night 4pm-12:30am to pay for school.

Well I graduated with honors but worked my way up to the roof truss set up guy (top paid position). Never left the trades after that. 5 years at that plant and wound up leaving after 2 years as shop foreman.

Found a "real" carpentry job after that and never looked back.

Learned electrical after a while and now I feel comfortable doing up to 400A services (380A for the pro's.) and I do it legally in Pa.. I still keep my local licenses current even though I'm an employee these days.....you never know.

·
Banned
917 Posts
Auto mechanic 16-25, kind of drug construction type things along my whole life until 26 then got serious, advertising business for a year, property management, numerous ventures into this and that, rather be shot to death then sit in a classroom or office, I freakin hate most white collar people cept my HO's of course :rolleyes:. If I know exactly whats gonna be on the plate next month I'm hating life. I dont want to know whats gonna happen next, if I do then I know I have a crummy job. I love working, I hate jobs.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts